Highlighted
Established Member..
Established Member..

UCMDB support for SSL connection to MSSQL

Hi Experts,

Is SSL connection between UCMDB server and MSSQL supported?
If yes what are the steps to enable/configure it on UCMDB side.

We are planning to force SSL on MSSQL side so non SSL connections wil be terminated.

We are using UCMDB 10.11 and MSSQL 2008R2SP2.

Could not find anything on this topic in HP UCMDB documentation.

Thanks

0 Likes
7 Replies
Highlighted
Established Member..
Established Member..

for connection to MSSQL, we support NTLM and NTLMv2 for secure connection

0 Likes
Highlighted
Established Member..
Established Member..

Could you please point to documentation on that?

Thanks

0 Likes
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Please examine the Discovery and Integrations Content Guide that comes with the content pack you are running for details on this.

Hope this helps,
Keith Paschal
UCMDB Worldwide Support Lead
Micro Focus Support
If you find this or any post resolves your issue, please be sure to mark it as an accepted solution."

Click the KUDOS star on the left to say 'Thanks'
0 Likes
Highlighted
Established Member..
Established Member..

Hi Keith,

My question was not about discovering MSSQL.

I was asking about SSL connection to MSSQL which is used by UCMDB server as a DB for storing CI data.

Thanks and regards

0 Likes
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Our documentation shows only the configuration of UCMDB to communicate with MSSQL, not how to set these up.  The documentation in question is the deployment guide and the database guide, neither goes deep into how to configure NTLM, NTLMv2, nor the protocols (HTTP or HTTPS) which they use.  The only configuration is in the CMDB Schema Settings of the UCMDB Server Configuration UI where, if you check NT LAN Manager, it will use NTLM.  I would suggest you talk to your windows administrators and your MSSQL administrator to validate that the setup is correct if you cannot connect to the MSSQL server.

Hope this helps,
Keith Paschal
UCMDB Worldwide Support Lead
Micro Focus Support
If you find this or any post resolves your issue, please be sure to mark it as an accepted solution."

Click the KUDOS star on the left to say 'Thanks'
0 Likes
Highlighted
Established Member..
Established Member..

Not sure if NTLM discussion is relevant in this context.

We want to encrypt the data that is circulated between UCMDB server and MSSQL database.

After browsing through the  numerous articles (for example, https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/276553) on how to enable SSL encryption for MSSQL I was left with the impression that ODBC client (and I believe UCMDB server is ODBC client, correct me if I’m wrong) needs to specify something like “Encrypt=YES” in its connection string.

UCMDB documentation does not mention this topic.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Hello,

UCMDB uses JDBC drivers from Data Direct.
As far as I know we do not have official support for SSL connection between UCDMB and MSSQL server, so any problems encountered here will be handled as ER’s.

From DataDirect documentation I think we need to configure like:
ddmssql.EncryptionMethod=SSL

For this please:
1. create file <cmdb>\conf\jdbc.properties

2. added in the jdbc.properties file
       SQLServer = ddmssql
       ddmssql.EncryptionMethod=SSL

3. restart UCMDB

I am not sure if only this configuration is enough, maybe we need to add more configuration to UCMDB server side.

Best regards,
Johnny

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.