Highlighted
Absent Member.. Absent Member..
Absent Member..

UD Full version License usage changed after applying UD Inventory (UDI) Licenses

We have uCMDB /UD 10.11 with CP 13.0  We have 500 prepetual UD FULL licenses. We have already discovered 373 windows servers discovred using three discovery jobs namely Range IP's by ICMP, Host connection by WMI and Host Resources by WMI. We have discovred 100 Unix servers using UD Full licenses and we used the three jobs namely Range IP's by ICMP, Host connection by Shell and Host application by Shell.

Recently we baught 1000 (100 x 10) UDI (Inventory) licenses as we need to discover 1000 windows desktops.

As sson as I applied the licensen file using jmx console on uMDB without running any discovery jobs the uMDB reshuffled the licenses and immidiatly after importing 1000 UDI licenses in to uCMDBis displaying UDI already consumed 266 licenses and UDFull is saying whatever the original numbers - 266.

When i ran the license report I found out just by applying the UDI license file 266 winodws servers out of total discovered 373 windows servers  which are previously discovered using UD Full license are now assigned UDI licenses. I want to stress the point we didn't ran any discovery jobs after applying UDI licensnes and out of 373 UD full windows servers 266 windows servers assigned to UDI license.

After a week we ran three windows discovery jobs (above mentioned three jobs) on identical 10 Windows 2008 servers and found that 8 winodes 2008 servers used UF Full and 2 used UDI licensnes eventhough all 10 servers are identical to OS, patch level, cpu, memory , disk etc.

We want to know why this reshuffing is occuring and how ro re-claim 266 UDI licenses back to UD full so that we can run 1000 desktop discovery using scanner file, AS of now eventhough we have purchased 1000 UDI licenses and we are unabke to run 100 desktop discovery as we don't have 1000 UDI licenses anymore.

Other issue with  the reshuffled 266 windows servers using reshuffled UDI licenses we are unable to run deep dive discovey on those 266 as they are no more using UD full licensens which supports deep dive discovery.

We are already working with HP third level support (Vega Cesar) HP ticket # 4652963642 and 3rd level support suggested us to uninstall UDI license key froom the existing uCMDB server and configure one more new uCMDB app server and install UDI on theat new uCMDB server and use this server for 1000 desktop discoveries but this solution is not practicle and feasible for us as we can not procure one more new uCMDB phisical server .

Also wanted to check are there are HP uCMDB customers who had both UD full and UDI licensnes co existing on the same uCMDB server and how they are managing Desktop discovries and server discoveries

We are unable to run windoiws discovery on new windoes servers as some of the new windows servers are asigned UDI license and we don't want this to happed because

1. it is reducing our dektop discovery capacity

2. when the windows server gets UDI license then we are unable to run Deep dive discovery jobs.

HP is saying this behavious is by design but we baught 1000 UDI licenses for a purpose of disvering 1000 windoes desktops and we are not able to use 1000 UDI licenses for inteded purposes eevn after paying the required cost for the UDI licenses. Any feasible solution is greatly appriciated.

Thanks,

Jag

Cell: 202-469-0860

email: jagadeesh.metagudmath@fepoc.com

0 Likes
4 Replies
Highlighted
Absent Member..

Re: UD Full version License usage changed after applying UD Inventory (UDI) Licenses

We had a similar sitution in our environment but slightly different cause....

After migrating to Universal Discovery from DDMi, we had a total of 24,000 UDI licenses and 800 UDF licenses.  After discovering and running inventory jobs against all of our devices, we were astonished to discover that we were consuming thousands of UDF licenses while only a fraction of our devices had consumed UDI's.! Essentially, workstation devices were consuming UDF's when they should be consuming UDI's.  After well over 18 months working with support we finally discovered that the Network Connectivity Analyzer job was running against all our probes and it was finding connnections between server and clients and thus they would consume UDF's.  The only way seemingly to prevent this was to either not run this particular job at all or to to run this job against a single probe.  A permanent solution hasn't been determined by HP as of yet, but we are currently running this job against one probe and it seems to be consuming licenses in a more predictable behaviour.

Lesson learned - don't run the Network Connectivity Analyzer job unless a) you have unlimited licenses or b) you don't care if your non-compliant becuase it will consume more UDF's than you are licensed for.

Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Re: UD Full version License usage changed after applying UD Inventory (UDI) Licenses

Have Cesar open a case with R&D (per my direction) to address this issue.

Hope this helps,
Keith Paschal
UCMDB Worldwide Support Lead
Micro Focus Support
If you find this or any post resolves your issue, please be sure to mark it as an accepted solution."

Click the KUDOS star on the left to say 'Thanks'
Highlighted
Absent Member..

Hi RV_COT_2013

Thanks for the reply looks like your issue is close to our issue. I checked and we are not exclusively running Network connectivity data analyzser job but we are running one of the job: TCP data by Shell and TCP ports for unix discovey jobs and the job tcp data by shell may be causing this issue: but we are running this only for unix (target discovry)

Do you tell us more details on this job: n/w connectivity data analyzer and it may help us to resolve this long standing pending issue.

How to Discover Processes

This task describes how to discover processes.

This task includes the following steps:

1. CollapsedPrerequisite - Set up protocol credentials

To discover network connections, define the following protocols:

• SNMP protocol

• NTCMD protocol

• SSH protocol

• Telnet protocol

• WMI protocol

For credential information, see Supported Protocols.

Note: None of these protocols is mandatory, but WMI alone does not retrieve network data.

2. ExpandedRun the discovery

Run the following jobs in the following order:

• Run the TCP Data by Shell or TCP Data by SNMP  job to populate the Probe's PostgreSQL database with TCP information gathered from the remote machine. For details, see TCP Traffic Jobs.

• Run the Network Connectivity Data Analyzer job. For job details, see Network Connectivity Data Analyzer Job.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member..

Thanks a lot Keith for taking look at my issue.

I have been working with our HEP acc rep Clay Goin i have requested many times to support /Clay Goin to refer the case to R&D and after two months now the case is with Third level support. I already requested Cesar ro refer the case /bring in R&D.

Can you too help me to refer this case to R&D to get a resolution to this long long standing issue? We are unable to run any new windows server discovery becasue if the fear that some of the new windows servers will get UDI license assignment v/s expected UD full license.

Are you from R&D?

Thanks,

Jag

uCMDB admin CareFirst BCBS

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.