Highlighted
Frequent Contributor.. Frequent Contributor..
Frequent Contributor..

UD GUI - 30 to 120 Minutes or More to Update

Jump to solution

Experts,

I clicked 'Rerun Discovery' on the 'Range IPs by ICMP' discovery job about 30 minutes ago.  The UD GUI shows no indication the request was received, and the probes are doing nothing.  This is a daily occurrence for us.

The server has 8 CPU's plenty of free disk space, 16GB of RAM, and 8GB of RAM dedicated to uCMDB.

We are completely up to date - 10.20 CUP1, latest content pack.  Running UD app server on Red Hat 6, database is on MS SQL.  No firewall issues.  Sometimes discoveries take off and run straight away without delay, but much of the time we deal with a long delay like the one I just described.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor..

We had more than a 23% disparity between the results of these two queries:

select count(*) from ccm_discovery_dests;

select count(*) from ccm_discovery_dest_ips;

Run them in the UD App server JMX console under

UCMDB:service=DAL servicesexecuteQuery

1. Optional:  Stop all discovery jobs.  You could also puase them.  I recommend this, as will be explained below.
  2. Stop the UD application
  3. Truncate the following tables (via favorite method for accessing your database.  Some of you may need a DBA to run this):  ccm_discovery_dests and ccm_discovery_dest_ips

MS SQL Server example:

TRUNCATE TABLE [%UD_Schema_Name_Goes_Here%].[dbo].[CCM_DISCOVERY_DEST_IPS]
TRUNCATE TABLE [%UD_Schema_Name_Goes_Here%].[dbo].[CCM_DISCOVERY_DESTS]

4. Start the app.

5. Discovery job schedules will be lost and will have to be re-created.

6. Launch desired discovery job and it should start straight away.

This issue should have been resolved in a prior release.  The fact that it exists under 10.20 CUP1 and latest content pack says that something got missed, or it's a byproduct of the upgrade, or something else.

I recommend stopping or pausing all discovery because when you bring the app back up after truncating the tables all the discovery jobs will kick off simultaneously if they aren't paused or stopped.

I will mark this as solved, but I consider this solution more of a workaround.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
7 Replies
Highlighted
Acclaimed Contributor.. Acclaimed Contributor..
Acclaimed Contributor..

Check mam.autodiscovery.log on the server side. This log is showing all comunication between server-probe in both direction. Search by Job and Probe names...

Regards
-Dmitry Gomel, PMP
Click the Like button at the bottom to say 'Thanks'.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor..

Every 30 seconds the mam.autodiscovery.log shows one of the probes in question (one I've filtered on) and says there are no tasks, and it waits 30 seconds.  I look at the probe, and ICMP job I sent almost an hour and a half ago, and the log only shows that the XML for the job has been received.  No actual job in progress.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor..

We are approaching the two hour mark - no activity on the probe since receiving the xml file for the job, and the UD GUI does not update.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor..

I forgot to mention - ZERO CPU activity on the app server.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor..

Will try the following solution:

1.  UD application

2.  Truncate the tables:  ccm_discovery_dests and ccm_discovery_dest_ips

3.  Start the app

4.  Discovery job schedules will be lost and will have to be re-created.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor..

We had more than a 23% disparity between the results of these two queries:

Run them in the UD App server JMX console under

UCMDB:service=DAL servicesexecuteQuery

1. Optional:  Stop all discovery jobs.  You could also puase them.  I recommend this, as will be explained below.
  2. Stop the UD application
  3. Truncate the following tables (via favorite method for accessing your database.  Some of you may need a DBA to run this):  ccm_discovery_dests and ccm_discovery_dest_ips

MS SQL Server example:

TRUNCATE TABLE [%UD_Schema_Name_Goes_Here%].[dbo].[CCM_DISCOVERY_DEST_IPS]
TRUNCATE TABLE [%UD_Schema_Name_Goes_Here%].[dbo].[CCM_DISCOVERY_DESTS]

4. Start the app.

5. Discovery job schedules will be lost and will have to be re-created.

6. Launch desired discovery job and it should start straight away.

This issue should have been resolved in a prior release.  The fact that it exists under 10.20 CUP1 and latest content pack says that something got missed, or it's a byproduct of the upgrade, or something else.

I recommend stopping or pausing all discovery because when you bring the app back up after truncating the tables all the discovery jobs will kick off simultaneously if they aren't paused or stopped.

I will mark this as solved, but I consider this solution more of a workaround.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Thanks, Toby.

Hope this helps,
Keith Paschal
UCMDB Worldwide Support Lead
Micro Focus Support
If you find this or any post resolves your issue, please be sure to mark it as an accepted solution."

Click the KUDOS star on the left to say 'Thanks'
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.