Highlighted
Absent Member.. Absent Member..
Absent Member..

Universal Discovery

Hi,

We wish to use HP Universal Discovery to doscover our IT assets i.e. Inventory management. For this activity I have a few questions which may look silly...

1. I need to install UCMDB server first?

2. Do we necessarily need to install the Data flow probe.?

3. Can DFP be installed on UCMDB server itself?

4. If we have different network ranges/ IP ranges, do we need to install multiple probes to install?

Just want to know the process and flow of this inverntory mangement through UCMDB/UD.

regards,
Gaurav Parashar
0 Likes
2 Replies
Highlighted
Absent Member..

Re: Universal Discovery

No question is silly.  We were all new to using this software at some point.  If you are looking at the current versions of the software, then:

1. Yes.  Universal Discovery has been integrated into UCMDB so to use UD, you install UCMDB.

2. Yes.  The UCMDB server is the data storage and management portion of the system.  The Data Flow Probe is the component that goes out and discovers your assets and sends the data back to UCMDB.

3. Yes and no.  While the DFP can be installed on the same server as UCMDB, it's not recommended for any but the smallest of environments and demo platforms.  Both UCMDB and DFP processes are very resource intensive and they really should be on separate systems in production.  Also, if you plan on using the Configuration Manager component, then the DFP cannot be installed on the UCMDB server.  This is because the CM component requires UCMDB's Integration Service which uses the same IP ports as a DFP so you can't have a DFP and the Integration service on the same system.

4. No.  One DFP can scan multiple IP ranges.  As long as the DFP has access to those IP ranges, it can scan them.  You may want to consider your network architecture, however.  If you have slow links or firewalls between the DFP and some of those IP ranges, it may be beneficial to install a DFP directly in the IP range to minimize the traffic across the slow link or reduce the ports you need to open in your firewall.

Highlighted
Absent Member..

Re: Universal Discovery

Hi 

I have my UCMDB and DFP installed on separate server. But, I am not able to make sure how should I start with my discovery.

I want an inventory discovery of all my IT assets. And for laptops/clients i want to know the software utilization as well.

Now I have asked my network team for below details:-

1. IP range for network devices.
2. IP range for servers.
3. IP range for clients (laptops/desktops).
4. IP range for other IP based devies.
For the points above, please do mentions IP addresses of ranges that you wish to exclude within the given range.

5. SNMP credentials for any all SNMP based devices.
6. A local system account for Servers/workstations. required for admin access to them in order to get detailed information and/or agent deployement. - Can be a single service account to be used across domain.
7. SSH credentials for Unix based devices.

Am I on the correct path?

Do I need all these for Inventory discovery or just the IP ranges are sufficient?

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.