Highlighted
Absent Member.. Absent Member..
Absent Member..

VMware Virtual Center Credentials

Kinda new to Universal Discovery.  In order to discover my VMware environment via Vircual Center, where do I specify the URL, user, and password for Virtual Center in the UCMDB?  I only see VMware VIM protocol under Data Flow Probe Setup, and I've put in the user and password for my Virtual Center user there.  But I'm sure I still need to tell the UCMDB what the URL is for Virtual Center.

Thanks.

0 Likes
7 Replies
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: VMware Virtual Center Credentials

Hi,

I am uCMDB Software Support representative.

Would please let us know what happens if you try use the same credentials from uCMDB.

Regards.

0 Likes
Highlighted
New Member..
New Member..

There's no need to enter a URL for the vCenter discovery.

All you need is a User name and Password. Even the Port Number is optional.

First you need to run the Range IPs by ICMP job so the IP/Node will be discovered.

After you have discovered the Node and IP you need to start the VMwaare vCenter Connection by VIM.

This job will try to connect to your Node and login to your vCenter with the credentials and create a VMware VirtualCenter CI. If all went okay you can now start the VMware vCenter Topology by VIM and that job will give you all the information you want/need.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Hello all,

You will first need to take the vmware sdk from vmware website (VMware Infrastructure SDK for your specific version) and you need to place the vim25.jar file from there on <Probe Installation path>\runtime\probeManager\discoveryResources\vmware and restart the probe.

Then you need to create the IP ranges in Data Flow Management -> Data Flow Probe Setup -> Data Flow Probes and add the IP ranges.

Also, you need to declare credentials from your vCenter here in VMWare VIM Protocol, you just need Username and Password.

After this step is successful you need to run the Range IPs by ICMP to discover the IP, then Host Connection by Shell in order for the engine to connect to the IP and create a Node and then Host Application by Shell so the engine will create the vCenter software CI so the specific Vmware jobs will know to which node to connect. Then, VMware vCenter Connection by VIM job, followed by the VMware vCenter Topology by VIM job.

Please tell us if you have any further questions, we are happy to help.

Best regards,
Andrei Matei
uCMDB Support Engineer

“HP Support
If you find that this or any post resolves your issue, please be sure to mark it as an accepted solution.”
Highlighted
Absent Member..

I have confirmed that vim25.jar is in the proper location and that the probe service has restarted.

The IP address for the Virtual Center server has already been disocvered and is in the UCMDB.

I have the user and password enabled in the VMware VIM Protocol credentials.  However, I can't make this pass a test when choose "Check credential" against my Virtual Center server.  Am I testing this against the right computer (the Virtual Center server)?

appilog.framework.shared.manage.impl.MamResponseException: [ErrorCode [7011] Probe [{0}] did not finish AdHoc Task [{1}] execution in time [{2}].{APPSW01P, AD_HOC_TASK_PATTERN_ID-153-1418149315530, 39998}]
CMDB Operation Internal Error: class com.hp.ucmdb.discovery.framework.probe.manager.ProbeAdhocTaskExecutionTimeoutException : Probe [APPSW01P] did not finished AdHoc Task [AD_HOC_TASK_PATTERN_ID-153-1418149315530] execution in time [39998] : operation com.hp.ucmdb.discovery.framework.probe.operations.AutoDiscoveryOperationExecuteAdhocTask : class com.mercury.topaz.cmdb.shared.base.CmdbException :
CMDB Internal Error: Error while handling request: {request: ID='5c044a0a6a7248010cca1dd10ebc1dc4' Message='General CMDB request' Operation='com.hp.ucmdb.discovery.framework.probe.operations.AutoDiscoveryOperationExecuteAdhocTask@1a9a8efe' Customer ID='1, id name: Default Client'
Context='CMDB Context: Customer id = '1, id name: Default Client' , User ID = '911' , Caller Application = 'UCMDB-UI,loggedInUser:{admin}''}

I've also run all of the jobs you suggested.    When running the VMware vCenter Connection by VIM, I get the following error:

<< Progress message, Severity: Error>>
VMware VIM: Internal error. Details: The server sent HTTP status code 301: Moved Permanently

Suggestions?

Thanks!

0 Likes
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Do you have an option to use SSL?  It appears from the error that VMWare is only accepting HTTPS requests.  Is there a 'Use SSL' checkbox in the VMWare credentials?

Hope this helps,
Keith Paschal
UCMDB Worldwide Support Lead
Micro Focus Support
If you find this or any post resolves your issue, please be sure to mark it as an accepted solution."

Click the KUDOS star on the left to say 'Thanks'
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member..

There is an option to enable SSL for the VMware VIM Protocol, so I enabled it.  After running another credential test, I get the following:

appilog.framework.shared.manage.impl.MamResponseException: [ErrorCode [7011] Probe [{0}] did not finish AdHoc Task [{1}] execution in time [{2}].{APPSW01P, AD_HOC_TASK_PATTERN_ID-185-1418156240658, 39998}]
CMDB Operation Internal Error: class com.hp.ucmdb.discovery.framework.probe.manager.ProbeAdhocTaskExecutionTimeoutException : Probe [APPSW01P] did not finished AdHoc Task [AD_HOC_TASK_PATTERN_ID-185-1418156240658] execution in time [39998] : operation com.hp.ucmdb.discovery.framework.probe.operations.AutoDiscoveryOperationExecuteAdhocTask : class com.mercury.topaz.cmdb.shared.base.CmdbException :
CMDB Internal Error: Error while handling request: {request: ID='9a1aa875b96b7f4fe585665348248b11' Message='General CMDB request' Operation='com.hp.ucmdb.discovery.framework.probe.operations.AutoDiscoveryOperationExecuteAdhocTask@717a0e7c' Customer ID='1, id name: Default Client'
Context='CMDB Context: Customer id = '1, id name: Default Client' , User ID = '911' , Caller Application = 'UCMDB-UI,loggedInUser:{admin}''}

However, after running the VMware vCenter Connection by VIM job it finishes without error now.

So it appears enabling SSH might have helped.  I'm running the VMware vCenter Toplogy by VIM job now.

More to come...

Thanks!

0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member..

Looks like disocvery for VMware vCenter jobs are running now.

Thanks.

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.