Aayush56 Honored Contributor.
Honored Contributor.

VMware tool & open vm tools

HI

UCMDB 10.32 CP 25

We are facing the problem in discovering the topology with virtual machine and the Esx server. I start troubleshooting this and found out that the vm is not having vmware tools installed on them so my team installed the open vm tool on those server but after running each job i am not able to find the topology in the UCMDB.

Does anybody know how the topology is being created in the ucmdb.

Does VMware tools played any role in this or not.

Regards

Ayush 

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Likes
8 Replies
popadiyski Acclaimed Contributor.
Acclaimed Contributor.

Re: VMware tool & open vm tools

Hi Ayush,

Vmware tools does't play any role to the discovery. The Hypervisor connection from ESX to Virtual Servers (windows and unix) is created when you start the ESX or VCenter adapters. For more information check the Content Pack documentation.

Cheers,

Petko Popadiyski

Freelance Microfocus CMS UCMDB Consulting

Likes are appreciated!
0 Likes
Highlighted
Honored Contributor.

Hi,

Hi ,

I am checking the logs for the error and i got the error in the comm log that 

log start="TIme" severity="debug">VM 'Server1': is skipped for its IP(None) is out of Probe IP range

but the ip of that server is in the probe even that server is discovered through the other job like HOst C by Shell. but after running the VMware jobs still it is not able to create the relationship in the ucmdb.

Also in the error log i can see the below error

2018-08-20 13:59:22,025 ERROR [Process Results Thread-VMware VirtualCenter Topology by VIM] (AbstractCommonOperation.java:166) - !!! Operation DataInAddOrUpdateData() ID: 1521121777 FAILED (running time: 27870 ms[ms])
com.hp.ucmdb.reconciliation.datain.exception.DataInException: [ErrorCode [63000] Reconciliation DataIn general error.]
com.hp.ucmdb.reconciliation.datain.operation.DataInOperationException: [ErrorCode [63000] Reconciliation DataIn general error.]
Error while trying to [addOrUpdate] on level [1]! Fail to determine type to update.
attempted to match :
Bulk - (vmware_esx_server:[$TempObject0c5eedb44269cbc83c9a9605f41d73fd]), (netdevice:[$TempObjecte07aa3a4b05e49efe924f7cac82a74c0])
Cmdb - (vmware_esx_server:[3d54337e06c66052ef3193a2d53221d8]), (node:[40410900c722431e98e1413f9814e08c])
Bulk contradicting types were divided to [vmware_esx_server,netdevice]

0 Likes
Acclaimed Contributor.

Hi,

First, it should be easy to check which NetDevice the VMWare adapter is trying to update. Find the CI 40410900c722431e98e1413f9814e08c (netdevice?) and look is it the same as (3d54337e06c66052ef3193a2d53221d8 - vmware). If a netdevice is preventing of the creation of ESX, then you cannot link the ESX with the virtual hosts. Delete the netdevice and run the job again.

Second, you have to start logging the results for the job. You can trigger the job for the particular ESX/VCenter and see what are the results in the communication.log in XML format. These errors may not have anything in common with the hypervisor connection. Also check if you have enabled discovery of these links:

vmwarebyvim.PNG

Cheers,

Petko Popadiyski

Freelance Microfocus CMS UCMDB Consulting

Likes are appreciated!
0 Likes
Honored Contributor.

Hi Petko ,

Thanks for the reply 

I tried to search the netdevice but it was not in ucmdb and also i checked the comm log of the job in that i am only able to get the servers & their ips  which are not in scope(or those i excluded from the probe). Earlier I disable the option discoverunknownips in ucmdb as we don't want the vdi to be discovered so the problem is i have the esx server and the virtualised host in UD but the relationship in those is not creating through the job.

0 Likes
Honored Contributor.

In the comm log i am getting an error as 

<log start="10:48:42" severity="debug">Could not resolve DNS name: ESXSERVER.Domainname.domainname
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "netutils", line 53, in getHostAddress
UnknownHostException: java.net.UnknownHostException: ESXSERVER.Domainname.domainname.

Also with these server i am not able to get the topology.

0 Likes
marsella Honored Contributor.
Honored Contributor.

Hi, 

I am curious about the image, in it I see two Jobs that I had never seen and I could not find the parameter discoverUnknowIPs.
Will it be the CP24 version?

vmware.PNG

0 Likes
Acclaimed Contributor.

Hi marsella,

I see discoverunknownips even in the CP21. It's quite an old one, controlling should the VMWare job create IPs, which are not part of the ranges defined on the probes.

Petko

Likes are appreciated!
0 Likes
johnc3 Acclaimed Contributor.
Acclaimed Contributor.

Hello Marsella,

if you managed to fix your CP28 deployment, I would recommend to work on CP28. We have fixed the JVM_args and we can ignore hosts without a hostname. It's more stable.

We also have from CP26 the option for vRealize and other relevant code changes.

Kind regards,
Bogdan Mureșan

EMEA Technical Success
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.