Highlighted
New Member.

What is the most ideal way to handle stuck threads in a discovery job ?

Hello everyone,

uCMDB version: 9.05.CUP12.351

DDM Content Pack 11.08.802

This is a generic question about probes and their capabilities.

While running heavy jobs like Host Networking by SNMP or VLAN related jobs, I check the probe jmx (Local_probeFQDN --> type=JobsInformation -->Description of viewJobsStatuses),  for stuck threads, run duration, etc. Often, I see that all of the 8 threads(Default) are stuck and remain stuck for hours together.

When I play with the Discoveryprobe.properties file and change a few things like the Max Threads, Max Stuck threads, Time until the probe waits, after reaching a certain number of stuck threads, for a restart and other stuff, it doesn't seem to be helping us. I would love to know how to achieve an efficient and fast discovery process.

Also, is there a way to fix these stuck threads so that the job continues without interruptions, other than logging on to the probe box and bouncing them ?

Please share your thoughts.

Thanks,

Praveen

0 Likes
3 Replies
Highlighted
Outstanding Contributor.. Outstanding Contributor..
Outstanding Contributor..

Re: What is the most ideal way to handle stuck threads in a discovery job ?

Look for pattern/trend...is it alway stuck on a certain host? Is it a particular job? maybe it stuck on a command? root cause the problem instead of the changing system setting.

Best approach is first see which job always stuck on then which host / command it is getting stuck on. Then figure why it is stuck?
0 Likes
Highlighted
New Member.

Hi Chuong,

Alright. So, I followed your suggestion to find the following:

1: The Discovery job is Host Networking by SNMP

2: There is a bunch of Switches on which these threads run and end up as In Progress(With error) message.

3: Now I need to figure out if some command is causing this. Where do we find it ? I checked the communication log and I see no errors but it says, Incomplete communication log...  at the end of the file.

I will have to start from scratch and watch the process with one particular IP address and see what exactly is happening with those switches.

Thanks,

PKS

0 Likes
Highlighted
Outstanding Contributor.. Outstanding Contributor..
Outstanding Contributor..

Good place to start:

Error log (ucmdb and probe-error)

Operation log

reconcilation log

mamautodiscovery

Run on one of the IP that is known to have problem n watch the log.  It should give you an idea of where the problem is

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.