Highlighted
Super Contributor.. Super Contributor..
Super Contributor..

Which are your main business advantage of using uCMDB and Configuration Manager?

Hi!

Not sure if this is the right place but I give it a shot!

We have been struggling with uCMDB and Configuration Manager for a couple of years now!

Our hair has turned grey and we really think we should get more out of it than we have this far!
Sure, we have had some value from it occasionally but if we are talking value for money we are loosing!
(reports on servers not patched, how many jboss do we have - levels..., servers listening on strange ports..., which servers belongs the a specific Business Service etc)

We would like to involve Problem, Incident, Change Manager with the product, we have tried different ways without success. The starting point was to create views showing different Business Services (with a logical configuration model) with specific hard- and software and their relations.
But this have not turned out as well as we hoped.
Unfortunately we are not using Service Manager so we can not take advantage of such a kind of integration.

Which are your main use of uCMDB and Configuration Manager? Can anyone give us some new ideas?

Wbr / Fredrik Linderoth

0 Likes
3 Replies
Highlighted
Outstanding Contributor.. Outstanding Contributor..
Outstanding Contributor..

Re: Which are your main business advantage of using uCMDB and Configuration Manager?

Hello Fredik ,

I hope you are doing well .

The main benefits of the CM are : "Provide us a picture of the IT infrastructure and software, thus
improving the quality of most ITIL processes and better facilitating business decision-making. In
addition, Configuration Management ensures the health of the organizational IT, in order to minimize
disruptions to the business.
HP Universal CMDB Configuration Manager (Configuration Manager) provides the tools to help the
system manager better control the CMS data. It focuses primarily on analyzing and controlling the data.....
Configuration control ensures that there are adequate control mechanisms over CIs while maintaining a
record of changes to CIs, versions, location and custodianship/ownership. Control of the physical or
electronic assets and components of the infrastructure ensures that the configuration data is aligned
and up to date with the physical world."

Please do not hesitate to inform us if this information helped you or please contact us if you need more information about CM .

Best Regards ,

Melissa Carranza Mejias
Customer Support Engineer

If you find that this or any other post resolves your issue, please be sure to mark it as an accepted solution.
If you are satisfied with anyone’s response please remember to give them a KUDOS by clicking on the STAR at the bottom left of the post and show your appreciation. “
0 Likes
Highlighted
Micro Focus Contributor
Micro Focus Contributor

Re: Which are your main business advantage of using uCMDB and Configuration Manager?

Hi,

I think the path you chose is the correct one but the consumption should be in the Browser.

You can see there the BS, enrich it with information like Incident, RFC, Problem even if it comes from another ITSM solution it should be displayed in the Browser.

From what i can understand you are expecting honest user feedback here, i would point you to the practitioners  forum that happens every Tuesday afternoon.

If you do not have the invite please let me know and i will send it to you.

Regards,

0 Likes
Highlighted
Super Contributor.. Super Contributor..
Super Contributor..

Hi Christian!

No, I haven´t seen any invite, please send one!

Yes, honest user feedback is what I need.

* New Ideas.

- We use it mainly in this way... 

- Most users of are system are ? 

- Configuration Manager, useful to track? OS-versions....

* Questions

- How to you handle security issues (we do not have access to all systems).... this causes reports that are not 100%

- How about the iprange, do you have big networks (like b-networks) or have you added smaller networks manually (know your data).

- What/How do you relate the Business Service to in uCMDB. Is the link to CI-type Node or perhaps the CI-type Running Software. We have it to a Running Software today, but unfortunately this link has to be done manually. And to have anything manually done is NO good....

Wbr / Fredrik

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.