Highlighted
Absent Member.. Absent Member..
Absent Member..

XML Import of IP Ranges by using JMX Console - Some questions

Hi all,

I have spent some time to understand how to import IP Ranges by using the JMX Console. Of course it works but some things I do not understand:

1) why do you support so many different xml formats? The xml format after exporting the ip ranges and the one which comes from the DDMi Migration file (*.zip) are different.

2) why is it not possible to exclude ip ranges or single IP Adresses by editing the credentialAndIpRange.xml-file?

3) why is there no sync between the ip ranges which are defined in the dataflowprobe-section and the ones which are defined in the management zone-area?

4) why is it possible to exclude complete IP Ranges by using JMX Commands (e.g. export -> !10.10.10.1 - 10.10.10.255) -> import) and if you try the same by using the WebInterface you get an error message? If you use the web interface you can only exclude from x.x.x.1 - x.x.x.254.

5) why is it possible to add 1 IP Range to two different probes by using JMX? If you try the same by using the web interface you get an error message.

Best Regards,

Marcus

0 Likes
6 Replies
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: XML Import of IP Ranges by using JMX Console - Some questions

Hi Marcus,
Let me address your questions:
1) At some point the format of XML created by "Export Probe Ranges" JMX was changed and backward compatibility was desired.
2) Are you still talking about Import/Export IP ranges or about Import/Export of Credentials And Ranges Information? As far as I know they both support ranges exclusions.
3) For management zones you can select a subset of ranges defined for different probes, so there's a sync - changing a range in Data Flow Probe section will influence Management Zone ranges.
4 + 5) These are probably bugs, we'll look into it.

Regards,
Victor
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member..

Hi Victor,

thanks a lot for your answer. Here are my comments:

2) I want to exclude IP Ranges (and no credentials) before importing DDMi Migration Data. In general, after exporting IP ranges by using JMX Command "Export ProbesRanges", i can "exclude" an ip address or ip range by using the following syntax.

"<range>

<range_ip>!10.101.10.11-10.101.10.20</range_ip>

<range_description>Description (Exclustion)</range_description>

<range_type />

</range>"

But the format within the credentialAndIpRange.xml-file is like this:

"<config:IpRange>
                    <config:StartIP>10.0.24.0</config:StartIP>
                    <config:EndIP>10.0.24.255</config:EndIP>
                    <config:Type>0</config:Type>
                </config:IpRange>"

If I try to exclude it like it works (Export ProbesRanges), the import of the DDMi Migration Data fails.

"<config:IpRange>
                    <config:StartIP>!10.0.24.0</config:StartIP>
                    <config:EndIP>!10.0.24.255</config:EndIP>
                    <config:Type>0</config:Type>
                </config:IpRange>"

An Errror message pops up saying that "!10" is not valid. How can I do an exclusion which works?

3) Ok you're right. there is a sync between dataflowprobe-section and management zone-section, if you add or delete an exclusion of an existing ip range. But if you try to modify the existing ip range within datflowprobe-section (i.e. increasing the ip range from .250 to .252) you still have the old value within the management-zone. so there is no sync if you delete or update the existing ip ranges within dataflowprobe-section.

Any suggestions or hints?

Thanks and best regards,

Marcus

0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Hi
I am not near a UCMDB now to check, but I would suggest to create a range with exclusion in UI and then look at the resulting file format.

Regards,
Victor
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

We don’t encourage end user to modify the DDMi migration data file itself. That is why we put all migrated data in a zip file.

The range definition in zip file is only for DDMi migration. We could modify the data in DDMi side or uCMDB side if it needs.

Jeffery Tang
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member..

Hello Jeffery,

I understand that end user (or customer) should not modify the DDMi migration data file on its own. But here my customer do have several management zones with hundreds of IP Ranges (Enterprise Customer). In the past he created device groups in DDMi to exclude IP ranges for inventory discovery. If I only create the DDMi migration file and import it into UCMDB, the customer will have to spend hours to edit and recreate the IP Address Ranges to satisfy his needs. Therefore I am searching for a way which might automize this procedure.

In my opinion best would be to be able to edit the credentialAndIpRange.xml and add all necessary exclusions. Another option would be the export the Management Zone-data (JMX Function: getManagementZone) and edit this xml-file and afterwards import it again by using JMX Function: EditManagementZone.

Unfortunately we can not use the second option according to HP Support. We tried it once and as result we got a corrupted UCMDB Database. HP Support told us not to use the following JMX Functions:

AddManagementZone

EditManagementZone

So do you know any way how we can handle our problem?

Many Thanks for your help.

Best Regards,

Marcus

0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

As I know that we did not support the exclusion function in the device group. How did the customer do in his workaround?

I go through the migration implementation code, it cannot support the exclusion function.

Did you try to use importProbesRanges and exportProbesRanges in JMX? I hope this solution can resolve your problem.

Jeffery Tang
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.