Highlighted
Absent Member.. Absent Member..
Absent Member..

application_ip for running software CI and role in discovery

Hi,

I have a custom discovery job that connects to a unix box by SSH and runs some commands to poplate attributes of a custom running software CI. 

The trigger TQL for the job has the custom running software CI Type as SOURCE. That CI is created by an application signature rule.

My custom job does not reference the application_ip at all, it connects to the SSH agent application_ip every time.

But, if the runnng software application_)ip is not in the probe range, the job fails saying the trigger cannot be invoked. 

So, somehwere in framework the application_ip for the trigger CI Type is checked for probe range, but I cannot find where.

Does anyone know how to work around this behaviour, since it is not an option to put all application_ips in the probe ranges.

It is also not an option to change the application_ip ith an enrichment or so, because in itself it is useful information.

0 Likes
5 Replies
Highlighted
Absent Member..

Re: application_ip for running software CI and role in discovery

Hello,

Such behavior seems a bit complex, it is best to open a support ticket so we can further investigate in more depth at the issue encountered.

Thank you,

Ana Acosta-Diaz

"HP Support
If you find this or any post resolves your issue, please be sure to mark it as an accepted solution."

Click the KUDOS star on the left to say 'Thanks'
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member..

OK, thanks I will do that.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Acclaimed Contributor.. Acclaimed Contributor..
Acclaimed Contributor..

UCMDB is giving an option to have more than one probe installed. As result, whenever you running one of  discovery jobs UCMDB needs to know what probe specific trigger will be dispatched to. That's where probe ranges is comming into game. Adding specific IP in probe ranges will update Discovery Probe attribute on IP CI. Probe will generally use this attribute for dispatchign of trigger. Restricting the discovery to run only on the probe ranges is basic requirements for most customers from one hand. From other, probe don't know how to access the IP...

As additional flow, UCMDB is trying to optimize connection to host. So, the latest seccessful connection will be saved on agent application IP (SSH in your case).

Bottom line. IMHO, this is expected behaviour.

Feel free to ask additional questions.

Regards
-Dmitry Gomel, PMP
Click the Like button at the bottom to say 'Thanks'.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member..

Hi,

I think I understand, but don't accept it is the best plan 🙂

The case in question is this:

box1 has 2 IP addresses, 10.0.0.1 - internally accessible, not routed to outside world. and 212.123.123.4, externally accessible for customers.

Shell discovery works via 10.0.0.1 - I do not want any discovery job to try and access the box on 212.123.123.4, so it is not in probe range.

Shell HR job creates a running software CI based on the process being disocvered through the internal address. The application_ip - and ip for the ip_endpoint of the discovered running software is the external address.

The application_ip for the ssh agent CI is the internal address.

If I now feed that running software CI as a trigger for my custom job , it will fail because although the job can perfectly well connect through ssh to the box and do its job on the internal address, the framework will see that the actual trigger application_ip is not in probe range (the external address).

0 Likes
Highlighted
Acclaimed Contributor.. Acclaimed Contributor..
Acclaimed Contributor..

Try to relate Application CI in your custom job to internal IP in trigger TQL for your custom discovery job.

This will help UCMDB to realize how to find IP address that we need connect to.

One of possible ways to do so is to modify (save as) host_shell TQL used for HA by SHell by adding your custom app to it.

Anothe rdirection is using of agents. I'm not meaning switch to inventory discovery, but only usage agents for shell related jobs.

Hope this helps.

Regards
-Dmitry Gomel, PMP
Click the Like button at the bottom to say 'Thanks'.
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.