Highlighted
Absent Member.. Absent Member..
Absent Member..

can UD(universal discovery) discover cameras and access control devices (badge reader)?

Jump to solution
hello experts, could anyone tell me if cameras and access control devs automatic discovery is supported. Could you please help me out to verify if UD supports automatic discovery for surveillance cameras and access control devs, do I need additional information from the customer for this validation? Please advise, looking forward for your comments. PS: I do remember UD discovers cameras somehow, but I cannot find any document so I am not pretty sure actually.
0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Acclaimed Contributor.. Acclaimed Contributor..
Acclaimed Contributor..

Re: can UD(universal discovery) discover cameras and access control devices (badge reader)?

Jump to solution

There is no OTTB discovery packages ready.

Potentially, any network device could be discovered. It should answer on one of supported protocols.

Integartion with "central management console" is prefered way. It will most probably has exposed interfaces and will be much faster than contacting every device.

Regards
-Dmitry Gomel, PMP
Click the Like button at the bottom to say 'Thanks'.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
2 Replies
Highlighted
Absent Member.. Absent Member..
Absent Member..

Re: can UD(universal discovery) discover cameras and access control devices (badge reader)?

Jump to solution

I consulted in other place. update the reply just for your reference.

Any feedback and discussion is welcome.

-------------------------------

It all depends on the enablement of the targets, for whether it's available out of the box.  Let me illustrate through some questions with just the security camera target:

Are you wanting to talk to a central management console (software controlling all of them) or to each individual security camera?  If to the central management console, what methods do you need to use (API or Shell/WMI/etc)?

If to each individual security camera, are the cameras setup with IP addresses?  If so, are you using either static IPs or DHCP with Dynamic DNS?  Let's assume the answer is yes, so you have something to key off for the device creation.  Are the security cameras enabled with SNMP, or do you need to use an API/SDK/proprietary client/etc?

All of these questions determine how you discover/map the target.  Using only OOB mechanisms, you will be hoping for IP addresses with SNMP enabled cameras.  This is possible since SNMP-enabled cameras are on the market today.  But if this is not your case, you need a specific package written for the camera discovery.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Acclaimed Contributor.. Acclaimed Contributor..
Acclaimed Contributor..

Jump to solution

There is no OTTB discovery packages ready.

Potentially, any network device could be discovered. It should answer on one of supported protocols.

Integartion with "central management console" is prefered way. It will most probably has exposed interfaces and will be much faster than contacting every device.

Regards
-Dmitry Gomel, PMP
Click the Like button at the bottom to say 'Thanks'.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.