Honored Contributor.
Honored Contributor.

differences between licenses in UCMDB: UD FULL and UD Inventory Only

Hi, 

I do not understand the differences between the following licensing:
Universal Discovery - Invontory Only
Universal Discovery - Full

licencias.PNG

How do I make future servers to be discovered on the Universal Discovery - Invontory Only license? since it is the one that has availability

How identify that a new discovered server will have one of the two licenses. see the following image:

LICENCIA2.PNG

Thanks in advance,

0 Likes
8 Replies
Highlighted
Acclaimed Contributor.
Acclaimed Contributor.

Re: differences between licenses in UCMDB: UD FULL and UD Inventory Only

Hi Marsella, 

the inventory and full licenses are changed in version 11 to Basic and Advanced with point systems  described in the link. Probably such a link exists for 10.xx installations.

In 10.x the Inventory license is used by the assets discovered through Zone Infrastructure and/or Inventory Activity jobs  - Inventory Scanner by Shell, Host Connection, Ping Sweep, VMWare jobs (without vMotion). 

If any other job discovers a server - such as host application by Shell, vMotion, SQL Connect or Topology, LMS, etc, the license is counted towards "full"

Cheers,

Petko Popadiyski

Freelance Microfocus CMS UCMDB Consulting

Likes are appreciated!
0 Likes
Highlighted
Honored Contributor.
Honored Contributor.

Hi Petko,
really the documentation is not very complete:

universalDiscovery.PNG

however, I want to dwell on the following comments:

In 10.x the Inventory license is used by the assets discovered through Zone Infrastructure and/or Inventory Activity jobs  - Inventory Scanner by Shell, Host Connection, Ping Sweep, VMWare jobs (without vMotion). 

If any other job discovers a server - such as host application by Shell, vMotion, SQL Connect or Topology, LMS, etc, the license is counted towards "full"

however, I want to dwell on the following comments:
1) If you ask me or I want to ask for licenses, what should I ask for?
2) When to use the UD Inventory license and / UD Full?
3) Is the discovery wrong?
3.1) Are there differences when discovering a server by zone and discover it by job?

zone-discoverymodule.PNG

I really do not understand the use or functionality of each of these two licenses.
Each one has a different value? or do they come in a package?

----------------------------

Petko hablas español?

Thank you again

0 Likes
Highlighted
Honored Contributor.
Honored Contributor.

melissa carranza si lees este post agradezco tu participación, sé que tienes claro estos conceptos y el uso/ventajas de crear zonas de descubrimiento.

Muchas gracias-

Highlighted
Acclaimed Contributor.
Acclaimed Contributor.

Yes, documentation is not very clear. That's why take the 11.x documentation and translate " Basic" as Inventory and Advanced as Full. But here is what I know from my experience:

1) If you ask me or I want to ask for licenses, what should I ask for?

Inventory licenses were way cheaper. You can see in the newer version that one full license costs as much as 5 Basic/Inventory ones. it depends what you want to discover. If inventory information such as the one comming from the scanner is enough and you can use if to discover workstations, it would be enough.
2) When to use the UD Inventory license and / UD Full?

When you have inventory licenses only, you will not see "Discovery Modules/Jobs". Therefore for all the Running Software discoveries - databases, web servers, interdependencies between servers, you need Full license. 
3) Is the discovery wrong?

No, discovery is not wrong. Just have to scope it.
3.1) Are there differences when discovering a server by zone and discover it by job?

Basically zones are automatic way to trigger jobs, but from license perspective there is difference. If you want to use only the inventory licenses, you have to stick to Inventory Scanner and VMWare jobs available only on infrastructure and inventory activites.

y si hablo espanol;) 

Likes are appreciated!
Highlighted
Honored Contributor.
Honored Contributor.

Hello again.

I have read the documentation of licenses and now it is clearer, however I want to share the following questions:

1) Do you have an idea of the price / cost of these licenses? Some with this information. Where, how to buy?
2) What happens if I surpass my purchased licenses? What I have observed is that nothing happens, can this affect me? I speak in terms of new discoveries and updates.

licencias.PNG
3) Workstation (unit), what kind of ci is it? Can it be a VMware ESX?
     Network (unit) is a firewall? Is it a sitwches? What type of ci is Network?
 3.1) If I am integrated with NNMi and it is NNMi who brings me firewall, router sw, etc, that consumes me license?

LICENCIAS_en_UCMDB.PNG

Thanks in advance,

0 Likes
Highlighted
Acclaimed Contributor.
Acclaimed Contributor.

1) Do you have an idea of the price / cost of these licenses? Some with this information. Where, how to buy?

No idea about prices. Contact your regional microfocus representative or partner for more details and discounts.

2)What happens if I surpass my purchased licenses? What I have observed is that nothing happens, can this affect me? I speak in terms of new discoveries and updates.

You are right - nothing will happen. You can breach the number of the licenses and continue discovering more servers, just the license summary will show that your ucmdb is "noncompliant". 

3) Workstation (unit), what kind of ci is it? Can it be a VMware ESX?
     Network (unit) is a firewall? Is it a sitwches? What type of ci is Network?

Workstations are workstations - in case of Windows, these are the machines with "discovered_os" Windows XP,7,Vista,8,10. Everything else is considered a server, including VMWare ESX

Network devices are all devices discovered under "NetDevice"

3.1) If I am integrated with NNMi and it is NNMi who brings me firewall, router sw, etc, that consumes me license?

Integrations do not lead to increase of the use of discovery licenses. The netdevices coming from NNMi will not use these licenses, unles you add SNMP or additional layer2 discovery jobs on top of them.

Petko

Likes are appreciated!
0 Likes
Highlighted
Honored Contributor.
Honored Contributor.

Hi again, 

The Default Domain nodes are calculated or counted as a license?

I am interested in the question of this forum:

https://community.softwaregrp.com/t5/CMS-UCMDB-and-UD-User/License-Calculation-on-defaultdomain-CIS/m-p/271011

0 Likes
Highlighted
Acclaimed Contributor.
Acclaimed Contributor.

No, they are not calculated. DefaultDomain nodes are often added when you enable P2P discovery of host connection/application by shell.

Even though it is not mentioned anywhere, I believe that the license addition happens by counting the Nodes (Windows/Unix/etc) with relationship to Shell (SSH, NTCMD,PowerShell) which has value for "Reference to the OS credentials dictionary entry" attribute (it is hidden by default)

With the latest CMSUIs - version 11,2018.05,2018.08 you can get pretty nice reports what nodes are using your licenses. 

Cheers,

Petko 

Freelance Microfocus CMS UCMDB Consulting

Likes are appreciated!
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.