Highlighted
Super Contributor.. Super Contributor..
Super Contributor..

external domains

Hello:

We want to receive some scan files of Windows machines connected to Internet and we have seen that UCMDB 2019.02 brings the ability to create external domains.

Is there a document with info to setup this and requeriments we need for this?

Thanks.

0 Likes
11 Replies
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Re: external domains

Do you have more details about the 2019.02 external domain change? I can't find it on the Docs portal.
Kind regards,
Bogdan Mureșan
EMEA CMS Technical Success
0 Likes
Highlighted
Acclaimed Contributor.
Acclaimed Contributor.

External domains have always existed, it's not new. But it is not something special, which cannot be done with customer domain.

https://docs.microfocus.com/itom/Universal_CMDB:2019.11/DfpDmnDetail

Likes are appreciated!
0 Likes
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

So what was the actual question. Either I'm not reading it right or either we have some missing details.
Kind regards,
Bogdan Mureșan
0 Likes
Highlighted
Acclaimed Contributor.
Acclaimed Contributor.

The guy is asking how to scan hosts in Internet 🙂 

Likes are appreciated!
0 Likes
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Ah.. why would you do that? 🙂
Kind regards,
Bogdan Mureșan
0 Likes
Highlighted
Super Contributor..

Because we have some Windows machines with UDA installed working through Internet.
These machine have no connectivity with our probes (the probes are installed in our network infrastructure) and these machines are outside our network infrastructure
We want to scan this machines and we have heard about external domains in UCMDB.

The external domains can solve this situation?

We need only a solution to scan those machines, perhaps a probe with Agent Driven Mechanism or similar to solve this?

Thanks

0 Likes
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

ADID will help but it was mainly designed to be used over a VPN for your scenario so those nodes when they will connect over VPN to the corporate network they will send the previously prepared scan files.

There is also the classical option to deploy a probe for those nodes but not in the corporate network and configure a secure tunnel from that probe to the UCMDB Server.

The external domain concept isn't relevant on this use case.

Kind regards,
Bogdan Mureșan
0 Likes
Highlighted
Super Contributor..

But if i deploy a classical probe, which IP ranges have to be defined?

Some Windows machines have external or public IP's (eg: 213.34.x.x) because they connect to Internet with USB Modems and similar

Other windows machines are in external network infrastructure (eg: private network infrastructure of other clients) so we can´t access those machines from my network.

I don´t know how to scan those machines.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

This is a question of infrastructure. It depends on how and what available IPs there are available.
On other option is to run somehow manually the scanner on the remote nodes and collect them to be processed in the Manual Inventory Scanner job.
Kind regards,
Bogdan Mureșan
0 Likes
Highlighted
Super Contributor..

We are testing with a probe and Agent Driven Inventory (ADI) and looks like it could solve out problem.

The idea is to deploy in our infrastructure a probe (with ADI configured) and open/forwarded ports on the router. (at this stage the probe is accessible from Internet)

For clients connected to Internet we have to convert the UD Agents to ADI manually (and point to the public IP of probe)

With this configuration, the ADI client communicates with the ADI probe and download necessary files (scanner, scan_config, schedule...etc). The scanner is launched and then the scan file is uploaded to the probe.

The probe processes the file and sends the results to the UCMDB.

All this without defining IP ranges in the probe. So this could avail ourselves.

Now i make myself this question, in view of my previous test.... What are the external domain for?

0 Likes
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

I don't think we're using the term of external domains. Either way, this is not the use case for domains.
Kind regards,
Bogdan Mureșan
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.