Highlighted
Micro Focus Frequent Contributor

populated by adapter - nodes become switches. Why?

Jump to solution

I just noticed that node CIs (with particular attributes filled) become switches in the target UCMDB when being pulled with the standard ucmdb10.x adapter.

The history does not reveal anything about this change.

So far for me the only logic that changes a CI Type is reconciliation - but the target UCMDB is empty (no reconciliation merge can happen).

With a jython population adapter I created a single node CI (with particular attributes filled) to reproduce and test this CI type change:

This creates a switch:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

objNode = ObjectStateHolder("node")

objNode.setStringAttribute("discovered_description", "my Ethernet Switch is cool")

objNode.setStringAttribute("name", "MyNodeName")

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

But this creates a node:

objNode = ObjectStateHolder("node")

objNode.setStringAttribute("discovered_description", "my Esernet Switch is cool")

objNode.setStringAttribute("name", "MyNodeName")

Can anyone explain what is converting the CI type obviously based on key words in the discovered_description?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: populated by adapter - nodes become switches. Why?

Jump to solution

Answer:

It was one of the 500.000 normalization rules.

In my case this one:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------   

<rule-input>

<attribute name="discovered_description" value="[Ee][Tt][Hh][Ee][Rr][Nn][Ee][Tt] ?[Ss][Ww][Ii][Tt][Cc][Hh]" compare-type="regexp"/>

</rule-input>

<rule-output>

<attribute name="node_role">

<values>

<add>lan_switch</add>

</values>

</attribute>

<class-type>switch</class-type>

</rule-output>

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2 Replies

Jump to solution

Answer:

It was one of the 500.000 normalization rules.

In my case this one:

<rule-input>

<attribute name="discovered_description" value="[Ee][Tt][Hh][Ee][Rr][Nn][Ee][Tt] ?[Ss][Ww][Ii][Tt][Cc][Hh]" compare-type="regexp"/>

</rule-input>

<rule-output>

<attribute name="node_role">

<values>

<add>lan_switch</add>

</values>

</attribute>

<class-type>switch</class-type>

</rule-output>

popadiyski Acclaimed Contributor.
Acclaimed Contributor.

Jump to solution

Hi, 

you are triggering some of the out of the box SNMP normalization rules, which run by default. Here is a link to an older documentation about the feature. The SNMP uses the discovered_description attribute for a lot of the rules.

Petko Popadiyski

Freelance Microfocus CMS UCMDB Consulting

Likes are appreciated!
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.