Highlighted
Super Contributor.
Super Contributor.

schedule for agent-driven discovery Job

Hello Forum,

I've setup agent-driven discovery. It looks like it only brings the new CIs only once, just after the job activation if there's no scheduler set. If i setup the scheduler - it brings a lot of errors since it does not find the scan files to parse. What is the right setup here?

Thank you,

Dima.

0 Likes
6 Replies
Highlighted
Micro Focus Contributor
Micro Focus Contributor

Hello Dima.

The Agent Driven Discovery doesn't use the scheduler, they Agent uses an xml file for the next scan schedule as you can see as follows:

Once the UD Agent with the Agent driven flow enabled is successfully installed, the necessary resources are downloaded automatically, including the scanner and scan schedule.

Then the scanner automatically runs for once and then send scan file back to Data Flow Probe. The next scan time is in accordance with the configuration in the agentDrivenInventoryConfiguration.xml.

You can find all the information on the Universal CMDB Administration Guide.

Chapter: "Agent Driven Inventory Discovery Configuration File" in the Discovery Modules section of the Content Help.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Super Contributor.
Super Contributor.

Hello Cesar,

Nice to hear from you!

Right, but what happens with the uploaded data at the probe side? When the job starts converting the uploaded data to concrete CIs?

Thanks,

Dima

0 Likes
Highlighted
Micro Focus Contributor
Micro Focus Contributor

Hello Dima.

The process would be like this:

1- The UD Agent installed on the target will generate a scan file.

2- The scan file is retrieve by the Probe at the time schedule.

3- The XML Enricher will process the scan file.

4- Information is sent from the Probe to the UCMDB Server for the CI creation.

5- UCMDB Server will do the validation, reconciliation and ends with the CI created.

That's the process for Agent Driven Discovery.

If you have any specific problem, please share it or open a support case for further analysis.

Thanks.

César.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Super Contributor.
Super Contributor.

Hi again,

Thankd for helping. 

About this stage:

4- Information is sent from the Probe to the UCMDB Server for the CI creation.

Indeed there's a job in python which parses the enriched scan files and then the results are sent to the server. The question is - how that job is supposed to be setup? Looks like it needs to be scheduled to run each 30 minutes for example? I did not find a definite information in the guides, and in some guide it looked like it remains running all the time started only once, but it does not seem to be true.

Thanks,

Dima

0 Likes
Highlighted
Super Contributor.
Super Contributor.

Interesting thing I've just found - in 2020.08 version at the UI there's no option to set the scheduler for that job! Indeed it looks like it has to work all the time in kind of background. I hope there was some issue in my 2019.x setup why it was not happening, and i hope it got fixed in 2020.08...

P.S. Maybe you know how often that jobs checks the input scan files?

Thanks,

Dima

0 Likes
Highlighted
Super Contributor.
Super Contributor.

Ok, this one can be closed, indeed the scheduler is not needed.
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.