Highlighted
Absent Member.. Absent Member..
Absent Member..

uCMDB 10.01: Layer 2 discovery not working for Cisco Nexus plattform

Dear community

We are trying to set up layer 2 discovery for a data center environment running on the Cisco Nexus 5548 plattform. We are using uCMDB with CP12 for this purpose.

Unfortunately the Nexus device is not discovered as a Switch but as a Chassis. This is an issue becasue other dependent Layer 2 discovery jobs us Switch as trigger CI. So these jobs will not see the Nexus units as trigger CI and not run any kind of Layer 2 discovery. For other IOS devices like the Cisco 6500 the Layer 2 discovery works just fine and they are properly classified as Switch.

Does anyone know if the Nexus Plattform is supported with 10.01 and CP12? I was not able to find any information in the official documentation.

Thanks a lot for your help

0 Likes
6 Replies
Highlighted
Acclaimed Contributor.. Acclaimed Contributor..
Acclaimed Contributor..

Re: uCMDB 10.01: Layer 2 discovery not working for Cisco Nexus plattform

Please raise the support ticket for the problem.

We'll either create Change request or Enhancement request to address the issue.

Regards
-Dmitry Gomel, PMP
Click the Like button at the bottom to say 'Thanks'.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member..

There are already ERs for this - has been for some time - hint 🙂

----this answer from a few months ago from eBilal   ---

Hello,

You are absolutely right about ability of Layer2 discoveries limited to only Cisco Catalyst. Currently there are two enhancement on file for consideration in a future release of UCMDB/DDMA for Cisco Nexus (NX-OS) Series 2000, 5000 and 7000. You may click on each link below to check status of these enhancements

QCCR1H75463: discovery L2 (Vlan) for Cisco Nexus 2000 and 5000 Series

QCCR1H71722: NX-OS Support for Cisco Nexus 7000 Series Switches

If these enhancement does not cover your requirement. Please use the following link to submit an enhancement for our review with detail description of your requirement 

https://support.openview.hp.com/enhancement/do/main

Although enhancement requests can take time and may take any direction, there maybe a solution for you in the form of another HP Product known as HP Network Node Manager i (NNM-I). NNM-I is a powerful Network tool and it has been complementing the limitation of Layer2 discoveries in UCMDB/DDMA. The Layer2 data discovered by NNM-I can be imported in UCMDB for Configuration Management using an integration feature built in UCMDB to populate data from NNM-I. 

Network Node Manager Support Customer Forum can be used for more specific information about NNM-I and ability to manage Cisco NX-OS switches.

Regarding adjusting trigger TQLs it was found that when VLANs by SNMP discovery runs against NX-OS the discovery shows messages such as "No VLAN Configured on the device", although VLAN are configured on the Cisco NX-OS switches.

-----------------------

0 Likes
Highlighted
Respected Contributor.. Respected Contributor..
Respected Contributor..

Hello,

is there anybody with with Nexus 7000 discovery experience? Mentioned ER should by contained in CP 13 but im my case discovery still not work correctly. Devices are discovered as chassis so VLAN's are not discovered by layer 2 jobs. Is  NX-OS supported at the moment and how to discover it? Thanks for your hints.

regards

Ivan

0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member..

you can change the modelling from chassis to switch using the normalization rules.  I added this to userdefined oid-to-host class for 5000 series. 

<rule-input>
<attribute name="sys_object_id" value=".1.3.6.1.4.1.9.12.3.1.3.1008" compare-type="equals" />
</rule-input>
<rule-output>
<attribute name="discovered_model">
<value>Nexus 5548p</value>
</attribute>
<attribute name="discovered_vendor">
<value>Cisco</value>
</attribute>
<class-type>switch</class-type>

However, tihs wil not be the end of the issue. layer 2 by SNMP gives some very strange results and creates duplicate interfaces and even maps interfaces to incorrect swithches (and fabrix extenders)

The new laer 2 by shell will not give you l2 connections from interface to server, only from switch to switch.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Respected Contributor.. Respected Contributor..
Respected Contributor..

I tried it before for 7000 series but even if I changed class type to switch, device is discovered as chassis:

</ns2:normalization-rule>
<ns2:normalization-rule id="1220" ci-type="node">
<rule-input>
<attribute name="sys_object_id" value=".1.3.6.1.4.1.9.12.3.1.3.612" compare-type="oid-starts-with" />
</rule-input>
<rule-output>
<attribute name="discovered_model">
<value>cevChassisN7Kc7010</value>
</attribute>
<attribute name="discovered_vendor">
<value>Cisco</value>
</attribute>
<class-type>switch</class-type>
</rule-output>
</ns2:normalization-rule>

How works that Layer 2 by Shell job, did you run it only for Nexus switches? And job create links between them? 

0 Likes
Highlighted
Honored Contributor.. Honored Contributor..
Honored Contributor..

There might be another rule in place, maybe in snmp.gz, that sets the class as chassis

Use the JMX Console to verify  

Mbean UCMDB:service=Normalization Rule Base Services 

Method viewNormalizationRules to search by OID

Rey Lejano

effectualsystems.com
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.