Highlighted
Absent Member.. Absent Member..
Absent Member..

uCMDB 10.01 + UD versus DDMi for network appliance asset data

Consider this:

DDMi currently collects detailed asset data about Network appliances ( the example I'll use is a fully loaded Cisco 6509 switch)

DDMI, through SNMP only, disocveres such things as the chassis, each fan module, each port module, each power module. It discovers at minimum a serial number and complete model description.

The same switch discovered in uCMDB 10 with SNMP consists of a single chassis with 144 ports, one chassis serial and that is it. No granularity, no individual modules modelled. This is fine for configuration management, but not for asset management.

So, if I move from DDMi to UD and lose my DDMi server, how am I going to get the amount of detail required into Asset Manager ?

When will the SNMP implementation in uCMDB 10.nn be augmented to discover the same amount of detail as DDMi does ?

As it stands, this is a show stopper for me migrating to UD. I would lose an enourmous amount of asset data in Asset Manager.

0 Likes
5 Replies
Highlighted
Absent Member..

Re: uCMDB 10.01 + UD versus DDMi for network appliance asset data

Hello jowillia,

Due to the urgency issue that not all the attributes are being discovered by UCMDB UD, I would suggest to open a support case.

In addition to the contract data, please attach the following:

1) Provide also output of System Information
http://<ucmdb_server_name>:8080/jmx-console
UCMDB:service=ServerServices
viewSystemInformation

2) Communication log generated by the "Host connection by SNMP", The properties of the Discovered CI.

3) Exported properties of the DIscovered CI Cisco 6509

4) output of SNMPWALK sowing the attributes not discovered by the job.

Best Regards,

Juan Calderon

"HP Support
If you find this or any post resolves your issue, please be sure to mark it as an accepted solution."
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member..

Hi,

I have had a support case open for some time on this. The upshot is that there is a recognised gap between some aspects of DDMi server and UD replacement, and those gaps may be addressed in future releases of UD.

You are the first person I have spoken to, that recognises the sensible approach is to develop the uCMDB v 10 SNMP host resource scripts and the network device CIs and relationships,  to model a chassis based device as a bunch of related modules rather than a single device.

But, the walk for any specific switch will even differ from IOS version to IOS version. Walks of different types of switch will be even more different. 

Thus, fixing the current scripting is not a feasible approach. It may be possibe to fix it to recognise the specific 6509 I have used as an exampe, but there are at least 15 other device types in our network that have similar discrepancies between the DDMi detail and the DDMa detail.

I think that somone needs to take the DDMi SNMP scripting and modelling methods, and then turn them into a distinct uCMDB package.

But, having had that rant 😉 I will take your suggestion and open another specific case and see where it leads.

Thanks,

John

0 Likes
Highlighted
Acclaimed Contributor.. Acclaimed Contributor..
Acclaimed Contributor..

Hi,

In my opinion, comparison of DDMi to SNMP related jobs isn't completely correct.

UD 10.01 using same to DDMi agents with exactly same capabilities.

I clearly understand that there are gaps, but it should not have such differencies.

Am I missing something?

Regards
-Dmitry Gomel, PMP
Click the Like button at the bottom to say 'Thanks'.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member..

Yes, the SNMP discovery of network devices is carried out by DDMi server, not the agents.

Converting the agents to UD then pointing them at uCMDB doesn't solve the problem. There are no agents on network devices..

0 Likes
Highlighted
Acclaimed Contributor.. Acclaimed Contributor..
Acclaimed Contributor..

Thanks for the info.

Regards
-Dmitry Gomel, PMP
Click the Like button at the bottom to say 'Thanks'.
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.