Highlighted
Super Contributor.
Super Contributor.

uCMDB 10 issues with ip_address

Hi -customer has recently upgrade from uCMDB 9 to 10.  At that point two issues have come up which are causing quite a few problems.  This environment has a very large and dynamic VDI environment which is one of the major reasons this has become a large issue.

Customers description of the issue:

Issue 1: Relationship between CI types node and ip_address

CI type node which contains data such as hostname is related to CI type ip_address which contain ip address.  When there is a change in ip address on a node, UCMDB  does not delete the relationship to the old ip address.  The node associates to both new and old ip address.
>>  My comment:  Customer showed me hundreds of examples of this.

Issue 2: Relations between CI types ip_address and interface

CI type ip_address is related to CI type interface which contains MAC address.  NNMi - UCMDB integration does not create ip_address to interface relationship in most of the cases.  It is unknown why this relationship is created in some cases.
>> My Comment:  According to the team this started after upgrading to 10 I looked for a known defect but did not see anything.
0 Likes
1 Reply
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: uCMDB 10 issues with ip_address

Hi there Tom,

Thank you so much for posting this question.

Regarding your first concern:

As far as i know, there is huge quantity of changes from both versions. On UCMDB 10,  we can define if an IP is a Datacenter (Server) or if it is a Client (Work Station or Laptop). As you may know, most of Enterprise Environments has Static IPs for service servers and DHCP for work stations. UCMDB takes advantage of this to set the IP as a high or low priority thing to take in count at any identification/reconciliation time. So, as a recommendation, ensure your customer have set correctly this option on the IP ranges on the probes (Server IPs as Datacenters and Workstation IPs as Clients). This way, if the IP changes the UCMDB will know if this change need to be taked in count or no.

Second concern:

Please, check the History of the Relationships. You will see why and who created this relationship. Maybe you can catch the idea why the relationship was created. If your customer still thinks this should not happen, i reccomend you to open a support case.

I hope this information helps.

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.