Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

uCMDB 9.05: Support of Unicode Data on MS SQL Server

Hi,

uCMDB 9.05 CP10.1

SQL Server 2008 R2 

How do we set up uCMDB 9.05 to support Unicode data on MS SQL Server 2008 R2 ? 

I have read through both the Deployment and Database Guides for both uCMDB and BSM but there is no clear description onhow to ensure that the database supports Unicode data. 

Our SQL Server is set up with SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CI_AS collation which states it supports Unicode data.  According to the Microsoft documentation, Unicode data is stored in fields with specific data types;ncar(), nvarchar(), and ntext() http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms186939.aspx. 

We have used the uCMDB Server Configuration Wizard to create new database schemas, however upon examination of theseactual database tables, non of the data types will support unicode data as they are defined as char(), varchar(), and text(),and according to Microsoft these are for non-Unicode data only.  We have further proven this by adding Unicode data toCI attributes through the uCMDB Web GUI ... when saved and retrieved these come back as question marks (?),i.e. the Unicode data is lost.   

I can easily manipulate the scripts used to create the dB schemas to substitute char() for nChar() etc,but what effect will this have on the system, especially if we need to created new CI attributes, are new database fields created ? 

I will appreciate your help.

Thanks

Shelley

0 Likes
0 Replies
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.