Highlighted
Absent Member.. Absent Member..
Absent Member..

uCMDB question: Owner of a node. Attribute or relationship???

Hi all

We are dealing with the requirement that our customer would like to associate the owner of a physical server with the CI of type Node i uCMDB. Means each CI Node should contain the information of the person who owns the machine in the organization. Currently i see two options for this.

Attribute: The name of the owner is being stored as a attribute with the CI itself (type Node).

Relationship: The owner of the server (Node) is represented by a single individual CI (type not yet clear). The ownership of the server (Node) is stored in uCMDB by adding a relationship between the Node and the CI representing the person (owner).

From my understanding i'd say both are valid options. But i can imagine, that one offers more flexibility. As for example a machine could potentially have two or more owners for whatever reason. So i would personally think adding a single CI for each owner and then building a relationship for each would be more flexible.

But i'm open to any other suggestion. Also what CI type is best to use to represent a person in a organization?

Thanks for the help. Points will be awarded.

Cheers

P.S. This thread has been moved from Application Perf Mgmt (BAC / BSM) Support and News Forum to CMS and Discovery Support and News Forum. -HP Forum Moderator

0 Likes
8 Replies
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: uCMDB question: Owner of a node. Attribute or relationship???

Using the owner represented by connected CIT makes more sense and gives more flexibility - you can store additional information about the person, who owns the node, tie the person to the group/organization, etc.
Additionally, whenever needed, you can leverage the Person - Node relationships, storing certain information there (ownership type, duration, expiration date) and define aging, so by default the ownership is going to expire within xxx days.

Regards,
Alex
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Hi,

I faced a similiar kind of situation.
I ended up by creating the Attribute (Server Owner Name) & then did the bulk upload for the server owner names.

Also its a very tedious process & is not very flexible, but HP only came up with solution.

In case of two owners I didvided the view based on Application,Database,Windows Servers etc..

Thanks!
0 Likes
Highlighted
Honored Contributor.
Honored Contributor.

hi 

I also have the same kind of requirment. For this i am thinking of using the people CIT but not sure how to accomplish this in my environmnet. How would i put the each owner in ucmdb and then map it with the correct application.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Super Contributor.
Super Contributor.

At one implementation I used the 'Person' CI type then used the display lable of the link to specify the role:

Jon Snow ---->Owner----->Customer Satisfaction

Jon Snow ---->Primary Admin------>KPI Tracking

One person, many relationships

Regards,
0 Likes
Highlighted
Honored Contributor.
Honored Contributor.

HI 

I thought of the same but if we are creating relationships over there it will look good on the UI but what about the report extracting part when we are extracting the report we are not getting the relationship in that we are onkly getting the CI type not the relationship. So how the end user will know about which person is resposible with certain roles (ownership,change manager,technical person). Can we have the relationship link in our report too, then it will be a good idea to implement those in this way.

Regards

Ayush

Tags (1)
0 Likes
Highlighted
Honored Contributor.
Honored Contributor.

Hi, there are of course many ways to implement it.

Straight forward would be to define these kind of roles as an attribute on the CI i.e. Responsible => userID, ChangeMgr => userID. And link the person (details) to the CI.
Of course one disadvanate is that you have the information twice but in integrations with other tools, this approach could be very helpful..
Otherwise you would define a new CI-Type "Role" and a relation to Person. But this makes it quite complicated i think..

Regards, Thomas

0 Likes
Highlighted
Honored Contributor.
Honored Contributor.

HI Thomas,

Thanks for the update but we already thought of this way but our two teams have a mismatch on this

We are thinking of creating relationships like chnage manager , business owner etc.

Now suppose one person :

tyrion lannister is having a role for of owner for one application and for other change manager.

tyrion lannister---->relationship(owner)----->application.

tyrion lannister---->relationship(change manager)----->application.

They want this relationship to be like this but now the question is if i will extract the report by any view i will not have this relationship over there but only CI person. So the end person will not able to understand what role this person has.

Is there a way we can export the relationship too in the report too.

Regards

Ayush

0 Likes
Highlighted
Super Contributor.
Super Contributor.

Until UCMDB reports can include relationship attributes, this should work without modifying the class model (10.33, CUP1 CP25):

Using your example:

tyrion lannister is having a role for of owner for one application and for other change manager.

tyrion lannister---->relationship(owner)----->application.

tyrion lannister---->relationship(change manager)----->application.

Consider flipping things arround using functional groups that are dependencies of the applications

applicaton(app-1)---->relationship(dependency)---->Functional Group(owner)---->relationship(membership)---->Person(tyrion lannister)

application(app-2)---->relationship(dependency)---->Functional Group(change manager)---->relationship(membership)---->Person(tyrion lannister)

Regards,
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.