Highlighted
Absent Member.. Absent Member..
Absent Member..

ucmdb preffered platform, probe architecture and ED functionality, UUID and more :)

First of all i want to ask a couple of questions about platform , and more

1. Which is better for ucmdb server and probes Linux or Windows? ( maintainability, performance, upgrade, administration)
  2. What should be the right sizing for 3000 servers and 250 switches ( meaning discovery, of course it is in the guide but, more important i think is the experience that i can take from you)
  3. As far as i know discovery probe is now coming with 64 bit jvm, that means we are not limited with 1400 mb of heap size , is this true?
  4. Can ED be capable of application to application mapping through process pids and netstat results?
  5. Is ED scripts can be developeable like ucmdb probe disco. scripts?
  6. How much energy takes an ED agent on host machine?
  7. Think about an unique identifier installed on host machines, can reconciliation be made only with this ID ( assume it can be discovered in windows registery file or unix etc) So we dont depend on neither MAC , BIOS or hostname.

7.Do you suggest using Configuration Manager between SM and ucmdb or, we do really need it  for CCM

8.We have ucmdb 9.00 license so, do we require another license for 10?

thanks

0 Likes
3 Replies
Highlighted
Trusted Contributor.
Trusted Contributor.

Re: ucmdb preffered platform, probe architecture and ED functionality, UUID and more :)

Hello Melihgun,

trying to answer to all questions :

1. Which is better for ucmdb server and probes Linux or Windows? ( maintainability, performance, upgrade, administration)

The better is the platform that is the most used on your environment. We do support them the same way.

1. What should be the right sizing for 3000 servers and 250 switches ( meaning discovery, of course it is in the guide but, more important i think is the experience that i can take from you)

it depends on what is discovered. There is no performance measurement, as they can vary from 10% to 1000% speed depending on what is discovered, and how it's integrated. About the switches for example, if it's 10 port non manageable switches, it's something small. Anyway, for 250 backbone switches with hundred of interfaces, and snmp discovery, it's another story.

The local benchmarks are the best approach concerning the performance capacity.

1. As far as i know discovery probe is now coming with 64 bit jvm, that means we are not limited with 1400 mb of heap size , is this true?

Exactly. Anyway, for some of the jobs, there is an external jvm that is created, and I do remember some of them to be 32 bits (VIM).

1. Can ED be capable of application to application mapping through process pids and netstat results?

About ED, do you refer about scanning the machines ?

1. Is ED scripts can be developeable like ucmdb probe disco. scripts?

if it's about the scanners, there is no such scripts.

1. How much energy takes an ED agent on host machine?

It can be configured. Anyway, full hardrive.software scans can be extensive.

1. Think about an unique identifier installed on host machines, can reconciliation be made only with this ID ( assume it can be discovered in windows registery file or unix etc) So we dont depend on neither MAC , BIOS or hostname.

identification rules can be changed. It's anyway higthly suggested to contact support before doing this, as this can have negative effects, as the one for the host are pretty complex.

One good practive is to change the scanner to discovery the assettag from the client machine, that is then used from the oob indentification rule, ie, keeping the out of the box value.

7.Do you suggest using Configuration Manager between SM and ucmdb or, we do really need it  for CCM*

you can use it to see the rfcs. about ccm, could you detail ? I'm not sure to get what is asked.

Yes a new one is needed.

hope that helps.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member..

Re: ucmdb preffered platform, probe architecture and ED functionality, UUID and more :)

Hello Melihgun,

trying to answer to all questions :

The better is the platform that is the most used on your environment. We do support them the same way.

<M.G.1>  you mean , there is not an obvious performance difference , actually all components need JVM right?

1. What should be the right sizing for 3000 servers and 250 switches ( meaning discovery, of course it is in the guide but, more important i think is the experience that i can take from you)

it depends on what is discovered. There is no performance measurement, as they can vary from 10% to 1000% speed depending on what is discovered, and how it's integrated. About the switches for example, if it's 10 port non manageable switches, it's something small. Anyway, for 250 backbone switches with hundred of interfaces, and snmp discovery, it's another story.

The local benchmarks are the best approach concerning the performance capacity.

<M.G.1>  Big Fat 8 GB RAM  64bit 8 cpu probe or  two 4 GB 64 bit 4 cpu  probe is better ?

1. As far as i know discovery probe is now coming with 64 bit jvm, that means we are not limited with 1400 mb of heap size , is this true?

Exactly. Anyway, for some of the jobs, there is an external jvm that is created, and I do remember some of them to be 32 bits (VIM).

1. Can ED be capable of application to application mapping through process pids and netstat results?

About ED, do you refer about scanning the machines ?

<M.G.1>  No. I am running ucmdb 9 on my company and dont have experience in ED, i mean Running discovery like scripts on the machine, running commands like netstat -rn or lsof - to get the connection between applications  

1. Is ED scripts can be developeable like ucmdb probe disco. scripts?

if it's about the scanners, there is no such scripts.

<M.G.1>  So we cannot extend the ED agents job with our own custimized commands, like wmic - get timezone etc. or Run a powershell command locally and send them to ucmdb server?

1. How much energy takes an ED agent on host machine?

It can be configured. Anyway, full hardrive.software scans can be extensive.

1. Think about an unique identifier installed on host machines, can reconciliation be made only with this ID ( assume it can be discovered in windows registery file or unix etc) So we dont depend on neither MAC , BIOS or hostname.

identification rules can be changed. It's anyway higthly suggested to contact support before doing this, as this can have negative effects, as the one for the host are pretty complex.

One good practive is to change the scanner to discovery the assettag from the client machine, that is then used from the oob indentification rule, ie, keeping the out of the box value.

<M.G.1> so how does this asset tag generates?

7.Do you suggest using Configuration Manager between SM and ucmdb or, we do really need it  for CCM*

you can use it to see the rfcs. about ccm, could you detail ? I'm not sure to get what is asked.

<M.G.1> I mean the CCRM - change configuration and Release management process. Without the CM we were already  have been able to that . But Configuration Manager provides an authorized state  in ucmdb data. So, if we plan to manage the changes in Service Manager and the authorized state in Service manager, this comes out like this authorized-authorized state. Does this make sense?

Yes a new one is needed.

<M.G.1> Got it

hope that helps.

<M.G.1> thanks

0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member..

any updates?

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.