Highlighted
Super Contributor.
Super Contributor.

vCenter Topology - IP is skipped despite being in Probe IP range

Hello,

We have a number of servers being skipped by the vCenter Topology (but ok with the Host Connection by shell job) with the usual message and we don't understand why :

"VM 'xxxx': is skipped for its IP(10.66.0.31) is out of Probe IP range"

However this IP is indeed part of a range that should be scanned :

IPRange.png

Also we've a number of servers with "None" as the IP (also excluded obviously), it's probably because VMware Tools are not installed on them (appliances on which we cannot do that), any way to handle them properly ?

For information, we've put the "discoverUnknownIPs" to false because we don't want to retrieve some servers.

Thanks,
Best regards,
Yann Pingot

0 Likes
8 Replies
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Re: vCenter Topology - IP is skipped despite being in Probe IP range

Hello Yann,

we had in CP16 a new feature which isn't documented even now. The ER is https://softwaresupport.softwaregrp.com/group/softwaresupport/search-result/-/facetsearch/document/LID/QCCR1H98754  

pastedImage_1.png

Try to add your IP in NatIpAddress.xml so you will force it to be added in UCMDB. This would affect the Probe flow. If it's still skipped then it's a problem on script level.

Kind regards,
Bogdan Mureșan
EMEA CMS Technical Success
0 Likes
Highlighted
Super Contributor.
Super Contributor.

Hi Bogdan,

Unfortunately it doesn't work, and in your screenshot it's mentioned that's for the Host connection by Shell job.

Any other idea ? Or maybe a script bug as you mentioned.

Thanks,
Best regards,
Yann Pingot

0 Likes
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Doesn't matter the Host Connection issue. The ER was implemented in a more general manner. Unfortunately we have only this Release Notes mention and not a complete document around this feature.

What is behind that IP? Is it a VM? Do you have some hints in the CommLog?

Kind regards,
Bogdan Mureșan
0 Likes
Highlighted
Super Contributor.
Super Contributor.

Ok i understand.

Yes it's a VM, a Linux more precisely.

In the CommLog there is only one occurence of this server or IP, which is the "skipped ip" line.

We have a few servers (<10) with the same problem, on multiple different ranges defined on the probe (ranges which contains working servers too, not only these skipped). 

Thanks,
Best Regards,
Yann Pingot

Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

In the file _vmware_vim_bse.py we have the function reportComputeResource  where we have 2 error messages that are good candidate. I think you are affected by 

for vm in computeResource._vmsByReference.values():
        isIpInRange = hasIpInProbeIpRanges(vm._ipAddressesByIpString.keys())

if not discoverUnknownIPs and not isIpInRange:
                computeResource._vmsByReference.pop(vm.reference)
                logger.debug("VM '%s': is skipped for its IP(%s) is out of Probe IP range" % (vm.name,   vm._primaryIpAddressString))
               continue

self.reportVm(vm, resultVector)

I think that discoverUnknownIPs  is not with the expected value. Can you modify a little bit the script to print this parameter in a logger.debug message so we would see it's value in the CommLog?

Kind regards,
Bogdan Mureșan
Tags (1)
0 Likes
Highlighted
Super Contributor.
Super Contributor.

Hi Bogdan,

I've tried debugging multiple values, here is the output for the same node :

- discoverUnknownIPs = False (as expected)
- isIpInRange = False (should be True)

I've investigated further in the code, just before the if when doing this isIpInRange = hasIpInProbeIpRanges(vm._ipAddressesByIpString.keys()) .

There is no value passed to the function, the variable "ips" in it is empty, that's why it's returning false, so that's because vm._ipAddressesByIpString.keys() is returning nothing, but i think this one is handled in the Java side ? I'm blocked here.

Thanks,
Best regards,
Yann Pingot

0 Likes
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Hello Yann,

How did you debug this? Did you printed the values for this variables using logger.debug(variable) ?

In reportUnknownIPs I see that we assigned the default value of 1, maybe we never change it.

I know that the VMware parameters are tricky because we use a weird parseBoolean function which is not imported from Java like on other adapters. I don't trust it.

In vmware_vim.py we have  def _parseBoolean(self, value, defaultValue):

which is different than def _parseBoolean(value): in glassfish_by_shell.py, you will quickly notice the difference as the one in Java is a better implementation. maybe we wrongly handle this boolean values for some odd reason in your scenario...

Kind regards,
Bogdan Mureșan
0 Likes
Highlighted
Super Contributor.
Super Contributor.

You're right I did the debug by printing few logger.debug in functions.

i've also printed the reportUnknownIPs and it's always false, which is fine because we don't want to have IPs not in probe ranges.

Since the if not discoverUnknownIPs and not isIpInRange: tests both variables and the discoverUnknownIPs should be false, for me the other one should be true so we won't have to enter the if, that's why i suspect the "hasIpInProbeIpRanges" function to be part of the cause, especially its empty argument (vm._ipAddressesByIpString.keys()) because no ips are passed to it like other working VMs, it cannot return true. 

Best regards,
Yann Pingot

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.