Can we get a locally installed UD or CMS Agent GUI?

Can we get a locally installed UD or CMS Agent GUI?

We often have to troubleshoot agent issues, initiate manual scans, validate undiscoverable information such as division or owner, or otherwise ask non-uCMDB admins to perform or troubleshoot UD/Asset/ITSM-related tasks at a local-device level.

Why not have a local agent? Especially with smart agent making its debut, this just makes sense.  Allow us CMDB/ITSM admins to better advertise the services we deliver and keep integrated systems updated with undiscoverable/validation-required information.  See attached pic for an incredibly ugly concept that I hope explains the idea...

Tags (4)
5 Comments
Micro Focus Contributor
Micro Focus Contributor
Status changed to: Waiting for Votes

The idea has received an initial review to ensure adherence to our idea submission and community guidelines. More information may be needed at this stage and we expect the community to help prioritize the idea with comments and voting.

John Goldstein Outstanding Contributor.
Outstanding Contributor.

I love the concept! It reminds me of the Software Center that is available with Microsoft products. Running an ad-hoc scan right from the GUI and something user friendly for generating a new ud unique ID are sorely needed features for the Inventory Agent.

mike_toronto2 Honored Contributor.
Honored Contributor.

I forgot all about the generation of a new Unique ID! Great point for supporting machines that get re-imaged/redeployed.

Micro Focus Contributor
Micro Focus Contributor
Status changed to: Waiting for Votes

Defintely interesting suggestion, thanks!, And thanks fo adding the attachment. It is not a small investement though I assume.

The idea has received an initial review to ensure adherence to our idea submission and community guidelines. More information may be needed at this stage and we expect the community to help prioritize the idea with comments and voting.

mike_toronto2 Honored Contributor.
Honored Contributor.

Yes, I imagine the required work to implement is not a minute undertaking, that being said for the client-side getting a new unique ID, a scan from a device that's been 'missing' for a while, or being able to validate asset-attributes easily will save us time and improve data accuracy.

Maybe the take-away here is scope related? Maybe a simple agent gui initially limited to manual scan, new ID, probe/discovery schedule information, agent version information and displaying attributes of the host node would make for an easier first implementation?

The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.