Edit CI's attributes in batch

Idea ID 2771983

Edit CI's attributes in batch

There currently is no way to edit multiple CI's attributes at once. For example, if i want to set "Enable Aging" Attribute to "True" for about 100 CI's, I will have to manually go into each one of the CI and set it individually. If there is a way to do this currently (UCMDB 2019.05) the please share the method.  Thanks.

Tags (1)
10 Comments
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert
Thank you for sharing your idea! It’s open for comments and kudos, and we’re looking forward to input from the community. Once there is enough community traction, it will be further reviewed by the product team
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert
Status changed to: Waiting for Votes

Outstanding Contributor.
Outstanding Contributor.

I believe the way to accomplish this right now is through the API but I agree, a more elegant (ie GUI-based, in-tool) solution is required.

Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

have u tried enrichment?

Super Contributor.
Super Contributor.

Currently, the only way to do a batch editing would be through the Enrichment rules. However, the enrichment feature is so powerful that we don't want to give such an access to a "regular" user.

It would be nice to be able to select multiple CIs and be able to set a new value to an attribute that would be applied to all. This feature already exist in Asset Manager and it works nicely.

Micro Focus Frequent Contributor
Micro Focus Frequent Contributor

What attributes would that be and why is a batch edit necessary?

Don't get me wrong, but from my perspective the UCMDB is not a tool for end-user editing. It should more be the core of all related ITSM process tools, collecting the relevant information, reconciling and normalizing it and bringing all this into a topology. The key is automated information handling wherever possible:

• Using UD: If attributes are "wrong" and have to be edited: What is the real reason, why the values are wrong? Is the discovery job not working correctly? Then this has to be fixed? Or is the information on the system wrong? Same story?
  • Using integrations from other systems: If the attributes are "wrong", this should be fixed in the source system.

If it's neither one or the other: Enrichments are the way to do this. And yes, it is powerful, that's why this should be done by someone with administrative rights on the system, who knows how to handle this. Because -and now it's getting back to the start - the UCMDB should be the core of all surrounding ITSM systems and everything, what is wrong in there will be wrong in all other tools as well.

Outstanding Contributor.
Outstanding Contributor.

2 examples off the top of my head:

Locations.  These are typically manually entered.  Yes, you can create an enrichment to assign a location based off an IP/subnet but that doesnt work when you're on a VLAN'd segment.

Business Owner/Support Contact.  People retire and we have to reassign CIs to a new lead.

Super Contributor.
Super Contributor.

In our case, we have an attribute "Service Manager Status" that pushes the status to SM. This is a selection list: Planned, In progress, Running, Unused, Stolen, ...

We have a community of about 120 configuration administrators who have a read/write access to uCMDB for managing more than 1300 business applications and their relationships to the infrastructure CIs. They frequently have to make an attribute change on multiple objects at the same time.

Honored Contributor.. Honored Contributor..
Honored Contributor..

For us, it's "Enable Aging" attribute.  We wanted to set this attribute to "False" on 1000+ nodes in batch but learned that the only way was through Enrichment Rules.

Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert
Status changed to: Under Consideration

Thanks for all the votes and comments. We are looking into this as a future product enhancement. Check the notifications box to be emailed if the status changes

The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.