Enhance discovery of AWS VPC configuration settings, i.e. security groups

Idea ID 1660309

Enhance discovery of AWS VPC configuration settings, i.e. security groups

Currently, (as of CP 26/uCMDB 11) AWS UD doesn't discover full range of AWS VPC details , just VPC itself and subnets. Would be beneficial, especially for security / secops cases to offer deeper level of visibility into AWS VPC, including history of changes.

Thanks,

Zeev Schultz

Solution Architect

WW Strategy & Solutions

Micro Focus Professional Services

Mobile: +1 (408) 705 6275

E-mail:  zeev.schultz@microfocus.com

San Francisco, California, USA

Tags (2)
5 Comments
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

I like this idea, but I think I need more detail before I can move it to "waiting for votes" stage.  Can you be specific about what it is you're looking for?  Right now, it's so open-ended that it's difficult to know what additional details would be useful.  I wouldn't want to work on something without knowing exactly what you want to see so I can ensure you get what you need.

Micro Focus Contributor
Micro Focus Contributor
Sure. The demo story I'm dealing with mainly focuses on providing valuable security data by our ITOM tools to sec or secops teams. Specifically, unauthorized modification, such as adding new rule to VPC security group (equals to adding new firewall rule), or removal of security group from VPC. Given ongoing AWS discovery in place, sec team doesn't need to use AWS console for investigation and analysis, information already available in uCMDB, including history of changes. Of course same uCMDB provides the usual inventory, various assets, business data, all in one tool and dashboard. In terms of model, probably requires introduction of a new CIT for SG and for rules. From topology perspective, VPC will contain 1 - N SGs, SG will contain 1 - N rules. ServiceNow CMDB model for example has separate "AWS VPC Security Group table" but didn't see SG rules anywhere. https://docs.servicenow.com/bundle/istanbul-it-operations-management/page/product/discovery/concept/c_DiscoverAWSCloud.html
Micro Focus Contributor
Micro Focus Contributor
Status changed to: Waiting for Votes

The idea has received an initial review to ensure adherence to our idea submission and community guidelines. More information may be needed at this stage and we expect the community to help prioritize the idea with comments and voting.

Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

In CP2019.08 , we added a large number of attributes to the VPC - is this sufficient?

VPC

• VPC Tag (key=Name and value = ServerName)     
  • Tenancy              
  • Subnet Tag (key=Name and value = ServerName)              
  • IGW ID 
  • IGW Tag (key=Name and value = ServerName)    
  • NAT Gateway ID              
  • NAT GW Tag (key=Name and value = ServerName)           
  • NAT Elastic IP Address    
  • NAT Private IP Address  
  • Route Table ID  
  • Route Table Tag (key=Name and value = ServerName)     
  • Main Route Table           
  • Routes (Destination & Target)    
  • Network ACL     
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert
Status changed to: Needs Clarification

We released additional discovery of VPCs in CP2019.08.  Is this sufficient?

The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.