New csv export type

New csv export type

When exporting ucmdb results list that contains Description fields to csv, the output will be almost unredable if the Description field contains NewLine characters.

The idea will be to provide a "csv-nonewline" export type that will replace the embedded CR-LF characters by blank space when generating the output.

Regards,

Benoit

3 Comments
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert
Status changed to: Waiting for Votes

The idea has received an initial review to ensure adherence to our idea submission and community guidelines. More information may be needed at this stage and we expect the community to help prioritize the idea with comments and voting

bnadon Super Contributor.
Super Contributor.

Hello, I was informed by my colleague that this situation occurs because UCMDB forgets the double-quotes when generating the csv file.

This rfc contains specific information csv format, including fields containing line-breaks (section 2, point 6) - https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc4180

Regards,

Benoit

Honored Contributor.. IVAN_BOREK Honored Contributor..
Honored Contributor..

Hi guys,

you have hit it exactelly - big candidate for improvement.  I communicated already with UCMDB team the following ... and your post enhances it further ! I believe that your issue would be resolved with use of text qualifiers (as outlined below in point 2).

CSV format is often use to provide "bulk" data from UCMDB to other systems. It is mostly used in

• data exports (e.g. search results)
  • report exports (typically for scheduled reports)

However the current "export to CSV" is extremely limited and fails (corrupts final data structure) when

• attribute values  contain comma "," symbol inside (which is often used e.g. in Description field) or
  • built-in report functions are used (e.g. Concatenated List or Distinct List) because these functions use comma symbol  as items delimiter too !!!

In this context I am suggesting the following solution (or improvement 🙂

Would it be possible to do CSV export more configurable (similarly as the "integration job" CSV Import is) ? Especially there is needed :   

1. add possibility to configure delimiter (absolutely essential, currently it is comma only ! but tab, pipe etc. are missing... Data often contains commas as proper value!)
  2. add possibility to define text qualifier (currently it is none, usually it is " )
  3. add possibility to define Escaping Characters (ensuring that texts that contains special characters are exported properly)
  4. make exports more consistent (currently it differs in Web GUI and Java GUI - e.g. in Java Applet GUI is the very first line of exported file the name of report, but it is missing in exports from Web GUI)

Great description of Delimiters, Quotes, Escaping Characters and their functions is here https://docs.microfocus.com/itom/Universal_Discovery_Content_Pack:30/ides_r_imp_csv

Generally the Export to CSV should have the same "configuration options" as Import from CSV job 🙂

I.

The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.