Perspectives in the ucmdb browser

Idea ID 1770227

Perspectives in the ucmdb browser

0 Votes

Hello, we have developed several perspectives in our environment for multiple needs.

This is a great functionality that is really valuable to our users community.

It will be very ueful to be able to apply perspectives in the UCMDB Browser as well.

Regards,

Benoit

6 Comments
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

The concept of perspectives is avilable in the CMS UI - when you're looking at the results of a view, you can apply a "Layer", which is the same as a perspective.  In fact, all the OOTB perspectives are already avialable, and I've created new ones that I can see when I click on the "more" link in this menu.

Would you check this out and let me know if it provides for what you're asking?  If not, I'd be happy to move this back to voting status.

Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert
Status changed to: Already Offered

Thanks for submitting this idea! It appears that the required functionality already exists in the product. Check here [https://docs.microfocus.com/itom/Universal_CMDB:2019.02/Browser/SM_Add_Layers] for details that describe the concept

Outstanding Contributor.
Outstanding Contributor.

Hello Bill, thank you for your quick response.

I looked at the OOTB Layers that are offered; here are some comments/questions if you don't mind:

-  They are only available under the Actions menu in the Service Modeling, right?

- I looked at the actual TQL for them and the "contact node" is a Running software CI. So unless you are displaying that type of CI in your topology map, adding layers do nothng.

- I added one of my own perspective under the  "ASM Perspectives/Final Layers" branch. It doesn,t show up when I select "Add Layers", Some additional action is needed before it is visible?

And finally, it's good to have that functionnality under Service Modeling but I would like to see it with the Related CI Topology Map. Several of the perspectives I created are for other CI types (node, netdevice, ...).

Thank you very much,

Benoit

Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

For demo purposes I collected a simple service model that shows the software related to an application.  By default, this service model does not show any infrastructure, and it's here that layers/perspectives are useful.

Since there isn't a perspective already created for AWS Infrastructure, I created a perspective query and tagged the running software as the contact node.  in the terminology of perspectives, this contact node is important because that's what the perspective anchors to on any view it gets applied to.  The perspective query looks like this.  

AWS Virtualization Persepctive Query.png

Here's how you would use this new perspective within  the new CMS UI and its ability display the results of various views or reports.  Click on the "map" icon of one of the widgets you're dislaying, or you've found using the new Resource Manager.  In my case, it's the simple service, based on AWS infrastrctureu.  You then click on the Layers Icon to display the default Layers (which is the new CMS UI word for Perspectives).  Since this is not OOTB, you need to add the layer so it's selectable.  Looks something like this

Apply AWS Virtualization Perspective Layer.png

Then, you can apply this new layer/perspective to the results of the view/report.  It would then look like this, with the AWS Infrastructure now showing in the results of the service map.

View with AWS Virtualization Perspective Layer.png

Obviously, you can add whatever you want to the perspecive view you build in the admin UI.  Building perspective views in the new CMS UI's Query Designer isn't yet possible but will be as soon as we can add it.

Outstanding Contributor.
Outstanding Contributor.

Hello Bill,

Thank you very much for that detailed explanation. I am going to learn more about the functionality of the Resource Manager.

But, in my environment, my perspectives don't show up when I click on "More layers" even when I have the appropriate Contact Nodes displayed.

Are there some limitations with the perspectives being displayed: Naming convention, directory hierarchy, ...?

Thanks,

Benoit

Outstanding Contributor.
Outstanding Contributor.

Hello again Bill,

Please forget my previous comment. All the perspectives correctly show up when I select "More layers". Not sure what was causing the glitch but that's all good now.

I do have a couple of suggestions to improve this functionality if you don't mind:

- When you have a large amount of CI displayed in your map and you add a layer it is added to all the CI that match the contact node. Would it be possible to have the option to add the layer to only the selected CI in the map?

- I could also see the case for perspectives made available on CI resulting from simple search. That is not possible right now because searching for CI launches the original ucmdb browser.

Regards,

Benoit

The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.