Population of VMware storage topology (mapping between Drive C: -> VMware Datastore)

Idea ID 2685309

Population of VMware storage topology (mapping between Drive C: -> VMware Datastore)

Dear all,

We would like to see population of VMware storage topology that will include population of mapping between Drive C: down to VMware datastore. 

The change should most probably touch both VMware Topology by VIM as well as Resources by Shell/WMI.

Thanks,

Dmitry

Tags (3)
13 Comments
Honored Contributor.
Honored Contributor.

Great Job @ViauJoc.

It's exactly what we are looking for 🙂

Just few questions

@ViauJocHow do you manage two server in cluster which have using the same VMDK (cf. Hard Disk <N>). Is theire a merge of the CIs or their is still one CIs by server ?
Some user are looking to be able to get those information and we are not able to do that for the moment.

@Bill_Dyck, what is the roadmap for this feature ? Is it already at the a futur release ?

Have a good days guys

Erwan

Super Contributor.
Super Contributor.

@ISSC We do not have clustered virtual servers sharing the same VMDK in our infrastructure, so I would not be able to tell the behavior. However, our add-on do not modify the out-of-the-box discovery of the VMware virtual disk. So, if the Vmware virtual disk discovered as "Logical volume" is currently merged into a single object in uCMDB, it will stay the same and we should see two Disk devices (\\PHYSICALDRIVEx) pointing to the same Logical volume (Hard disk x+1) . I am just unsure how our module "OS storage by Shell" would react if the VMware virtual disk is not at the same position on each virtual machine (ex: 3rd disk on the first VM and 4th disk on the second VM), but if I remember correctly, that kind of configuration is a bad practice for building a virtual cluster...

FYI, we already had a few meetings with MF R&D about this idea. We have sent them our improved discovery code.

Honored Contributor.
Honored Contributor.

@ViauJoc thanks for the answer....as the vmdk is discovered by the OoB discovery, I understand that point won't be change with your improvement.

As you said it's a bad pratice to switch disk from a VM to another and we do not implement that hopefully. So, i'm confident with that.

Anyway I really hope your improvement will be add to OoB MF Discovery very soon

Regards

Erwan LE BARON

The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.