Request for discover Fibre Channel topology for physical Linux by Host Resources by Shell job

Idea ID 1661934

Request for discover Fibre Channel topology for physical Linux by Host Resources by Shell job

Brief Description

Current job doesn't support FC topology discovery for physical Linux (in our case - RHEL). This is request to add such feature.

Benefits / Value

Our goal is to have in UCMDB information how host relates to storage array. This information is extremely important for calculating the cost of ownership of a host (without this information, we can't calculate exactly how much a business application is worth) , also it is very useful for administrators (storage admins, datacenter admins, virtual admins, etc), and of course it is useful for various kinds of audits.

Design details

Based on  other FC discoveries I think a new one discovery should be like this-

RHEL_FC_Topology.JPG

5 Comments
Micro Focus Contributor
Micro Focus Contributor
Status changed to: Waiting for Votes

The idea has received an initial review to ensure adherence to our idea submission and community guidelines. More information may be needed at this stage and we expect the community to help prioritize the idea with comments and voting.

Micro Focus Contributor
Micro Focus Contributor

Is it an area you will be willing to work with us on?

Super Contributor.
Super Contributor.
Yes
Super Contributor.
Super Contributor.

Hi, I have similar request, for phisical Linux servers. Commands are diffrent tell me if I can assist.

Super Contributor.
Super Contributor.

We developed a discovery module called "OS Storage by Shell" which, among other things, creates the relationship between the Logical Volume and Disk Device. It works on both Windows and Linux.@stx9 is our expert developer who wrote the script.

As for the FC topology, you can get it by enabling the discovery on your SAN fabric. We enabled it on our Brocade fabric and it works pretty well.

The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.