Restricted CIs for read only users should not be shown in the search tree in advanced search

Restricted CIs for read only users should not be shown in the search tree in advanced search

For a read-only user customer expect that specific CITs should not be displayed in advanced tree search.

Current Situation:
CITs are displayed, even that restricted user is not available to see search results.

Expectation:
Windows CI’s shouldn’t be displayed

Test Scenario:
The main point is to create a "test" user who does not have permissions to see "Windows" CIs in UCMDB Browser.

1. Go to CMDB Security -> Roles Manager and create new Role. In my case I create role with the name "user".
2. Once when my "user" role is created, I assign only the resources that this group should be able to use (read/write/view...... etc.). In Browser CI Access Control I need also to select which specific CIs should be viewed by browser and assign only them. Please note that "View All" and "Edit all" check marks are removed.
3. Once when my role is created please go to "User and Groups" and create new Group who customer can use for all users that need to be assigned to that group.
4. Click on new Group and follow the steps to assign roles association in our case it is "user". Late you can add Group Members once when you have the users who would be a part of this group. In my case it would be a test user who is still not created.
5. Then I go to user creation and create my new "test user".  Once when user is created please assign the user to the proper group. In our case we use group with name "user". Please also assign a role to the use which we already created "user".
6. Save configuration

Once when you are done from Roles Manager you can decide which CIs by type can be visible for the role.

-> Customer wish restricted user to not be able to see that windows/specific CIs are available for search in browser advanced search.

Reference: QCCR1H116029 – ‘customer wish restricted CIs for read only users to not be show in the search tree in advanced search‘

1 Comment
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert
Status changed to: Waiting for Votes

Thank you for sharing your idea! It’s open for comments and kudos, and we’re looking forward to input from the community. Once there is enough community traction, it will be further reviewed by the product team

About the Author
Bill has over 26 years of experience in the IT industry focusing on providing business solutions utilizing HPE Software’s tools at enterprise scale. He comes from the HPE-IT organization where he managed the first deployment of HPSC (now HPSM) and then later UCMDB with its discovery partner UD. Bill also managed a team of IT Developers, who created customized configuration management solutions for HPE-IT and HPE’s ES clients.
Most "Liked" Contributors
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.