There should be a possibility to restrict the depth of impact analysis

Idea ID 2769393

There should be a possibility to restrict the depth of impact analysis

Scenario:

I created an impact rule for Business Applications (BA) via use links:
BA1 -> uses relationship -> BA2

The whole tree looks like:
BA1 -> BA2 -> BA3 -> BA4 -> BA5 -> BAx

So I have a lot of connected BAs but I would like that the impact Analysis stops after the first level (so only BA1 -> BA2 is affected and the rest is untouched).
At the moment this isn’t possible with UCMDB.

Reference: OCTIM19U763144 - 'Depth of Impact Analysis'

Tags (1)
4 Comments
Acclaimed Contributor.
Acclaimed Contributor.

The impact analysis rules are one of the most flexible features in UCMDB. You can control all the parameters of the impact analysis depth. How to do it:

When you "define impacted" in the Impact Analysis Manager, you can control when the rule to be triggering and what to be the "severity relative to trigger severity". For example if you have a host which is impacted with "Critical (10)" severity. If the relative severity is reduced to 50%, then the impacted CI will have "Minor (5)" state after 1 step. After one more step, it would be "Warning (2)". On third step it would be "Warning (1)", etc. 

Also you can define the conditions when the impact will be triggered. If you want the impact assessment to stop after 1 step, then just define Operator "greater than or equal"  to "Minor (6). Then the rule will be used only with depth of 1 and the rest will stay untouched.

Cheers,

Petko Popadiyski

Freelance Microfocus CMS UCMDB Consulting

Respected Contributor.
Respected Contributor.

Hi Petko,

thanks a lot for the idea. It is not 100% what I wanted to have but it is at least working for now 🙂

BR, Manuel

Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert
Thank you for sharing your idea! It’s open for comments and kudos, and we’re looking forward to input from the community. Once there is enough community traction, it will be further reviewed by the product team
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert
Status changed to: Waiting for Votes

The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.