Update CI attribute of existing CIs through DB Adapter using global ID/UCMDB ID from external DB

Idea ID 2826482

Update CI attribute of existing CIs through DB Adapter using global ID/UCMDB ID from external DB

Here is brief explanation of my idea:

1. I am just maintaining global IDs/UCMDB IDs of all the CIs & relationships(relation id, end1 CI id & end2 CI id) along with an attribute in an external database.
  2. I am updating the attribute in the external DB through some business logic and would like to have the same attribute updated in UCMDB once the attribute of all the CIs is updated.
  3. I tried connecting to the external DB(Oracle in my case) through custom generic DB adapter but I realized that I cannot just give global ID/UCMDB ID as  an input in ORM.xml query for the specific CI type and just get the attribute updated through multiple integration point jobs of the DB Adapter.

I believe this is much needed feature for the use cases where UCMDB IDs are already known but just could not update by connecting to the database just because OOTB DB doesn't support this.

FYI, I am using REST API for the moment to get the attribute updated but this costs lots of time(about 12hrs-under performant ), when I have to update a specific attribute of above 1Million CIs in UCMDB. I hope my idea makes more sense. Please revert if this already possible through some configurations in DB Adapter. I could not get this happen when I tried as the adapter is looking for reconciliation attributes/relations to update the CI and global ID/UCMDB ID is ignored just like any other normal attribute.

@JohnCI @popadiyski Please check this post and comment with your view/thoughts. Vote if you agree!

Thank you,
Kartik

1 Comment
Acclaimed Contributor.
Acclaimed Contributor.

this feature would be indeed beneficial for the dbadapter

The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.