VMware VMotions by VIM” job should create only UD-I licenses

VMware VMotions by VIM” job should create only UD-I licenses

0 Votes

Problem : Virtual machines, which are discovered by the job “VMware VMotions by VIM” consumed a UD-full license, even if they are virtual desktops or software appliances without any universal discovery agent.

Scenario : 

Starting the job “VMware VMotions by VIM” creates full Universal Discovery licenses for the discovered nodes. Another job for the discovery of VMWare, like “VMware vCenter Topology by VIM”” ran and created only “UD-I licenses” instead of UD-F licenses for the same nodes.

Current Workaround: None 

Current Situation : The current behavior leads to a higher license consumption

Business case : Virtual desktops and other software appliances without any Universal Discovery agent should consume only a UD-I license, after they have been discovered only by VMware jobs. All VMware jobs should create only UD-I licenses ! 

Tags (1)
2 Comments
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert
Status changed to: Declined

VMotion discovery is and always has been designed to consume UD Full licneses for any nodes that it discovers have moved from ESX host to ESX host.  This is because VMotion is a real-time job.  Any discovery in Universal Dsicovery that is real time, or provides depedency informaiton, willl always consume a UD Full license (or 1 unit in 11.x or later).  

There are some special cases with the VMware jobs that, because they were migrated from DDMI, have the option to discover VMs with UDI license (if available), the VMotion job was never in this situation and was created specifically for Universal Discovery.

Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

I noticed in the business case note the statement was made that virtual desktops will consume a UD Full license.  This is true.  However, in CMS 11 and later, a virtual desktop would be viewed as a workstation, and as such, following the new rules of unit consumption, would never consume more than 0.1 unit even if discovery was performed by a job that would consume 1 unit for servers.  This would apply to any CI with that has the node_role attribute "desktop".

I would propose you should migrate to CMS 2018.05.  The behavior you're wanting to see would be realized for desktop systems that are virtualized and VMotion discovery.

The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.