Valued Contributor.. bbispo Valued Contributor..
Valued Contributor..

Call Home vs Agent Driven Inventory

Jump to solution

Hello all,

I need to discover software utilization so i am using agents on desktops/laptops. For those special cases of VPN, users who are moving all the time and getting different ip addresses, etc. what would be the best approach: Call Home or Agent Driven?

What are the main advantages/disadvantages/differences between them?

From what i was able to read, when using Call Home the discovery is done step by step and between each step there is communication between the agent and the probe while in Agent Driven the agent will run full discovery and only comunication with the probe to send the results correct?

Thank you

Regards

Bruno Bispo

0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Arunraj Super Contributor.
Super Contributor.

Re: Call Home vs Agent Driven Inventory

Jump to solution
For your 1st question. you can modify the scanshedule and run Update UD Agent can help you to change it centrally. Make EnableAgentDrivenFlow - true on job. You can test it.

2nd question. Days and hours can be defined here.
<allow-scan>
<scan-day name="any"> <!-- Defines scan days of a week (allowed values are from Monday to Sunday, and all, any, or * to mean any day) -->
<hour>any</hour> <!-- Defines hours in a day (allowed values are from 0 to 23, and all, any, or * to mean any time) -->
</scan-day>
</allow-scan>

3 Replies
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Jump to solution

You should use Agent Driven Inventory Discovery (ADID) for your use case.

Kind regards,
Bogdan Mureșan
EMEA CMS Technical Success
Valued Contributor.. bbispo Valued Contributor..
Valued Contributor..

Jump to solution

Thank you for the reply Bogdan.

When using ADID we define the scan schedule in the agentDrivenInventoryConfiguration.xml file and from what i understood when the agent installation ends it connects to the probe and retrieves that config (the schedule definition will be stored locally at the scanschedule.txt correct?)

My questions are:

1) If we want to change the scan schedule after the initial deploy do we need to go to each agent and change it manually in the scanschedule.txt or can it be done centrally and then the agent will pick up the change?

2) I see the following example in documentation

<scan-frequency>7</scan-frequency><!--We want to run the scan each day-->

I thought this configuration meant to run scan every 7 days....not every day....

Does the scan definitions regarding frequency, days and hours mean the periods on which the scan is authorized to run? How/Where do we specify the day(s) and hour(s) that we want the scan to start?

Thank you so much

Best Regards

Bruno Bispo

0 Likes
Highlighted
Arunraj Super Contributor.
Super Contributor.

Jump to solution
For your 1st question. you can modify the scanshedule and run Update UD Agent can help you to change it centrally. Make EnableAgentDrivenFlow - true on job. You can test it.

2nd question. Days and hours can be defined here.
<allow-scan>
<scan-day name="any"> <!-- Defines scan days of a week (allowed values are from Monday to Sunday, and all, any, or * to mean any day) -->
<hour>any</hour> <!-- Defines hours in a day (allowed values are from 0 to 23, and all, any, or * to mean any time) -->
</scan-day>
</allow-scan>

The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.