Korbobo Super Contributor.
Super Contributor.

DDM license utilization

Hi!

We have DDM Advanced with license:

advanced

-

Could you please tell how can we see DDM License utilization?
We need to know how many spare licenses we have.

P.S. This thread has been moved from Application Perf Mgmt (BAC / BSM) Support and News Forum to CMS and Discovery Support and News Forum. - Hp forum Moderator

Tags (1)
0 Likes
7 Replies
Ilya Reshetnikov Trusted Contributor.
Trusted Contributor.

Re: DDM license utilization

Hi,
May be there is some easier solution but, I believe you can write a TQL query that will show all the CPUs discovered by DDM.

Best Regrds,
ILya
0 Likes
Absent Member.. Alexander Kilpi Absent Member..
Absent Member..

Hi all,
so is this true that such a TQL query will give me the number of used licenses explicitly? And there is no other place (menu, log files)to look for the number of used licenses? And I will have my one license back immediate after I delete the corresponding CI?
BTW, I've learned that DDM counts OSes now, not CPUs -- is that true?
Thanks!
0 Likes
Michael Makar Absent Member.
Absent Member.

As far as I know, DDM is still licensed by CPUs. You can check discovered CPUs by either writing a TQL or going to Admin | Universal CMDB | Discovery | Show Status Snapshot and look at the number of discovered CPUs. Hope this helps.
0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

There is no way to see actual DDM license utilization out-of-the-box. Also regular TQL returning number of CPUs in uCMDB is not an accurate way to measure license utilization either. Because it's CPU cores that were counted towards license utilization, not physical CPUs.

However, starting November 1, 2009 licensing models for both BAC and uCMDB/DDM changed. Now DDM is licensed by OS instances discovered (physical and virtual). But again there is no one place (UI, log file etc.) to see exact number of OS instances already consumed at any given moment. CIT Manager can help to estimate the number if you look at the number of CIs of Windows, Unix etc.
0 Likes
Absent Member.. RobuCMDB Absent Member..
Absent Member..

when DDMA license model is changed from physical cores to discovered os instances, both physical and virtual this has a big impact on the budget I think.

One TQL to check only physical cores.
- computer: with attribute host is virtual = null
- relation computer with cpu
- cpu: attribute with core numbers
0 Likes
Established Member.. Ben.Shirley
Established Member..

Dmitry, can you confirm if this applies to OS instance discovered by integration adapters to third party repositories such as HMC, SCCM, Ciscoworks, or custom integration to AD etc... if there is no internal display of utilization at which level would the count be established in the CI type tree, computer,node, etc...

Thanks
0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

If you talk about UCMDB 9.x then it doesn't really matter whether OS instances are discovered by native DDM discovery jobs or by various integration adapters. License consumption estimation could be considered at Computer CIT (as not all Node CIs may have OS instances counted towards the license, e.g. network devices).

But if you talk about UCMDB 10, the licensing for integrations with 3rd party sources is changed and doesn't use OS instances any longer. 

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.