Our vBulletin migration is complete.
Welcome vBulletin users! All content and user information from the Micro Focus Forums (vBulletin) site has been migrated to this site. READ MORE.
Aayush56 Honored Contributor.
Honored Contributor.

Fibre Channel Switch Discovery

Jump to solution

Hi All,

I need to discover fibre channel switches in my environmnet. So can i discover it through the jobs LAyer2 or for that i need to the SE integration ? 

Could any one able to discover Fibre channel switches in there environmnet. Please help me in this or anyone having info regarding this?

Regards

Ayush

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Respected Contributor.. churchie73 Respected Contributor..
Respected Contributor..

Re: Fibre Channel Switch Discovery

Jump to solution

Hi Ayush-

The reason they are matching as swtches is because of their OID to Host configuration in the "oidtohostclass.xml" file under Adapter Management. Here is how to modify that to get what you need.

1) have a look at the properties of one of your Fiber Channel Switches. We want the Object Identifier (OID) value which is listed as the "SysObjectId" value. It will look something similar to this: ".1.3.6.1.4.1.1588.2.1.1.1". If you are not familiar with how OID's work, they basically are values that identify objects or nodes to certain things. the 5th number value, 1588, is specific to the Vendor, in this case Brocade. 
See this for OID Information: https://kb.paessler.com/en/topic/653-how-do-snmp-mibs-and-oids-work
You can google the OID get an idea of what vendor and device type you are dealing with. Note, anything after the Vendor value, again 1588 in this case, is specific to the device. so the "2.1.1.1" value is specific to the device model.

2) now that you know your OID value, we need to change it in UCMDB to type this as a Fibre Channel Switch. This is done under the Data Flow Management -> Adapter Management. You'll want to scroll down under DDMaInfra->Configuration Files and look for an XML file named "ruleEngine/oidToHostClass.xml".  Select that file and do a search for your OID. In my case it was .1.3.6.1.4.1.1588.2.1.1.1 HOWEVER, it may list the OID only up to the Vendor value of 1588. So only search up to that "1588" number set. There will likely be more than one rule for different devices of that vendor as well so first do a search for all the OIDs in the xml file with that Vendor value. You want to note the OID for tthe rules yo uare reviewing and the compare-type. many of them will say "oid-starts-with", meaning it will match anything that starts with the OID value up to that last number. You can hone in on specific device models by extending a new rule beyond that Vendor value. for example, .1.3.6.1.4.1.1588.2.1.1.1 can be used in a new rule with the compare-type set to "equals". I would recommend getting a list of all the unique OIDs for your Fibre switches and make a new rule for each of them. It is very important that for each new rule you make, you have to choose the id value for the new rule since they must all be unique. also, note the class-type is "fcswitch" which is the CI Type value for a Fibre Channel Switch. here is an example of one you could use. this is only an example and you will need to modify for your devices.

</ns2:normalization-rule>
    <ns2:normalization-rule id="7001" ci-type="node">
        <rule-input>
            <attribute name="sys_object_id" value=".1.3.6.1.4.1.1588.2.1.1.37" compare-type="equals" />
        </rule-input>
        <rule-output>
            <attribute name="discovered_model">
                <value>Fibre Channel Switch</value>
            </attribute>
            <attribute name="discovered_vendor">
                <value>Brocade Communications Systems, Inc.</value>
            </attribute>
            <class-type>fcswitch</class-type>
        </rule-output>

I hope this makes sense.

Darren

9 Replies
Respected Contributor..

Jump to solution

Hi Aayush56-

We have Brocade Fiber Channel Switches discovered in our environment and those have been discovered through the Host Connection by SNMP jobs for us. As long as SNMP is enabled on those devices and the proper crednetial is in place (community string in our case) you should be able to discover them.

Darren

0 Likes
Honored Contributor.

Jump to solution

Hi Darren,

Thanks I tried to scan them and they are scanned but after scanning they are CIT is coming as switches not as Fibre Channel Switches.

Hope you can help me in this

Regards

Ayush 

0 Likes
Highlighted
Respected Contributor..

Jump to solution

Hi Ayush-

The reason they are matching as swtches is because of their OID to Host configuration in the "oidtohostclass.xml" file under Adapter Management. Here is how to modify that to get what you need.

1) have a look at the properties of one of your Fiber Channel Switches. We want the Object Identifier (OID) value which is listed as the "SysObjectId" value. It will look something similar to this: ".1.3.6.1.4.1.1588.2.1.1.1". If you are not familiar with how OID's work, they basically are values that identify objects or nodes to certain things. the 5th number value, 1588, is specific to the Vendor, in this case Brocade. 
See this for OID Information: https://kb.paessler.com/en/topic/653-how-do-snmp-mibs-and-oids-work
You can google the OID get an idea of what vendor and device type you are dealing with. Note, anything after the Vendor value, again 1588 in this case, is specific to the device. so the "2.1.1.1" value is specific to the device model.

2) now that you know your OID value, we need to change it in UCMDB to type this as a Fibre Channel Switch. This is done under the Data Flow Management -> Adapter Management. You'll want to scroll down under DDMaInfra->Configuration Files and look for an XML file named "ruleEngine/oidToHostClass.xml".  Select that file and do a search for your OID. In my case it was .1.3.6.1.4.1.1588.2.1.1.1 HOWEVER, it may list the OID only up to the Vendor value of 1588. So only search up to that "1588" number set. There will likely be more than one rule for different devices of that vendor as well so first do a search for all the OIDs in the xml file with that Vendor value. You want to note the OID for tthe rules yo uare reviewing and the compare-type. many of them will say "oid-starts-with", meaning it will match anything that starts with the OID value up to that last number. You can hone in on specific device models by extending a new rule beyond that Vendor value. for example, .1.3.6.1.4.1.1588.2.1.1.1 can be used in a new rule with the compare-type set to "equals". I would recommend getting a list of all the unique OIDs for your Fibre switches and make a new rule for each of them. It is very important that for each new rule you make, you have to choose the id value for the new rule since they must all be unique. also, note the class-type is "fcswitch" which is the CI Type value for a Fibre Channel Switch. here is an example of one you could use. this is only an example and you will need to modify for your devices.

<ns2:normalization-rule id="7001" ci-type="node">
        <rule-input>
            <attribute name="sys_object_id" value=".1.3.6.1.4.1.1588.2.1.1.37" compare-type="equals" />
        </rule-input>
        <rule-output>
            <attribute name="discovered_model">
                <value>Fibre Channel Switch</value>
            </attribute>
                <value>Brocade Communications Systems, Inc.</value>
            </attribute>
            <class-type>fcswitch</class-type>
        </rule-output>

I hope this makes sense.

Darren

Honored Contributor.

Jump to solution

Thnaks alot Daren It realy works.

0 Likes
Honored Contributor.

Jump to solution

HI Darren,

Recetly I checked and found out the serial number is not coming after i make the changes earlier they were coming.

DO you have any idea.

0 Likes
Respected Contributor.. tslane Respected Contributor..
Respected Contributor..

Jump to solution

I am having the same issue with a Netapp filer. I have changed the OID before but not since this <ns2:normalization-rule id="549" ci-type="node"> was added. What would i put for the ID is that line?

0 Likes
Honored Contributor.

Jump to solution

By Id you mean the sys_object_id . If yes then check the oid of the switch and put that one there.

And if not please could you clarify more.

Regards

Ayush

0 Likes
Respected Contributor.. tslane Respected Contributor..
Respected Contributor..

Jump to solution

Can i just change sys_object_id on a current rule? For instance the sysobjid for Netapp in my environment is 1.3.6.1.4.1.789.2.5. this is not defined in the oidtohost.  So do i create a new one or can i just modify the current one? if not, when i create a new one what would the  normialization-rule id be (highlighted in bold)

<ns2:normalization-rule id="2178" ci-type="node">
<rule-input>
<attribute name="sys_object_id" value=".1.3.6.1.4.1.789.2.1" compare-type="oid-starts-with" />
</rule-input>
<rule-output>
<value>NetApp</value>
</attribute>
<class-type>netdevice</class-type>
</rule-output>

0 Likes
Honored Contributor.

Jump to solution

HI ,

IF it is not defined create a new one that will be good also for the normalization-rule id you can choose any number but it needs to unique not matching to any other id in the XML file.

Regards

Ayush

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.