Having problems with your account or logging in?
A lot of changes are happening in the community right now. Some may affect you. READ MORE HERE
Trusted Contributor.. Hope Trusted Contributor..
Trusted Contributor..

What's the difference between Inventory Discovery Manually and Simple Inventory Discovery?

Jump to solution

Hi experts!

I have a question about Inventory Discovery. As far as I know, we have two scenarios. Agent-based and non-agent discovery.
Do I understand correctly? What if we use an agent, should we configure Inventory Discovery Manually ? Or I can also use two scanners this is Infrastructure + simple inventory detection.
What's the difference between Inventory Discovery Manually and Simple Inventory Discovery?

Just in case I attached a screenshot.

With Regards,

0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
popadiyski Outstanding Contributor.
Outstanding Contributor.

Re: What's the difference between Inventory Discovery Manually and Simple Inventory Discovery?

Jump to solution

20k computers is quite a  big installation of UCMDB Inventory discovery. You have to carefully read the UCMDB Sizing guide, to have at least several probes with 16+GB memory and eventually increase the JVM -Xmx settings for the XML Enricher as well. If the computers are not constantly connected to the network, you have to ensure the CallHome functionality works as designed. Also it's good to customize the scanner configuration to fill only the CIs you need for your processes and not everything. If you do inventory you have to count on the Software Recognition engine and ensure all the authorized and licensed software is recognized properly.

As a whole, it's not something you can ask in the forum and get a response in one post. If you haven't implemented it already, from my experience it sounds like 6+ months project.

You should definitely contact knowledgable consultant/s not to waste your time and effort.

Cheers,

Petko Popadiyski

Freelance Microfocus CMS UCMDB Consulting

Likes are appreciated!
3 Replies
Outstanding Contributor.

Re: What's the difference between Inventory Discovery Manually and Simple Inventory Discovery?

Jump to solution

Hi,

the Agent based Inventory discovery uses two components - an UD Agent installed on the scanned computer (or alternatively it can use other shells as well) and the configured scanner executable. The process of scanning is initiated by the DataFlowProbe, which 1. connects to the computer, 2. exectutes the scanner, 3. wait for the result, 4. moves the scanner result file to the DFP for XML enrichment process, 5. sends the data to UCMDB. 

The the Manual Inventory Scanner skips step 1-4 and just imports the available files created in a specific folder on the DFP. When you use Manual Inventory, you have to ensure that the scanner produces a result and the resulted file is moved to the DFP. 

By default the Manual Inventory job is checking for new files in the incoming folder every hour. 

Cheers,

Petko Popadiyski

Likes are appreciated!
Highlighted
Trusted Contributor.. Hope Trusted Contributor..
Trusted Contributor..

Jump to solution

Thanks for the explanation.

What is the best way to do it if we have 20,000+ computers and the same number of agents ?

With Regards,

0 Likes
Outstanding Contributor.

Jump to solution

20k computers is quite a  big installation of UCMDB Inventory discovery. You have to carefully read the UCMDB Sizing guide, to have at least several probes with 16+GB memory and eventually increase the JVM -Xmx settings for the XML Enricher as well. If the computers are not constantly connected to the network, you have to ensure the CallHome functionality works as designed. Also it's good to customize the scanner configuration to fill only the CIs you need for your processes and not everything. If you do inventory you have to count on the Software Recognition engine and ensure all the authorized and licensed software is recognized properly.

As a whole, it's not something you can ask in the forum and get a response in one post. If you haven't implemented it already, from my experience it sounds like 6+ months project.

You should definitely contact knowledgable consultant/s not to waste your time and effort.

Cheers,

Petko Popadiyski

Likes are appreciated!
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.