Having problems with your account or logging in?
A lot of changes are happening in the community right now. Some may affect you. READ MORE HERE

How do I configure Optimal Trace Server and Client when running a firewall?

Problem:

Resolution:

To get Opimal Trace working through a firewall, it is necessary to allow all TCP communications (i.e. all ports) between client and server machines. Similarly, in the opposite direction, all ports between the server and the client must be open.

There may be a firewall on the client machine (a common example is the windows XP SP2 built-in firewall, which is enabled by default). There may be a firewall on the server machine (a common example is the Windows Server 2003 SP1 firewall, which is temporarily enabled by default after installation).

There may be network firewalls at intermediate points, e.g. at routers or proxies, or at the network adaptor level. The same configuration must be applied to all of them. The requirements are that each client machine must be able to connect over any port to the server, and the server machine must be able to connect over any port to each client machine. This will get SteelTrace working.

(Note there is no need for individual client machines to be opened to each other.)

Most modern firewalls offer this basic functionality, where access is configured on a per-machine basis. This does not expose your network to significant risk as the machines are exposed only to each other, not to the entire network.

However, it may be more difficult in the case of highly secure networks, e.g. trying to use a 'guest' laptop with minimal security clearances which obtains a DHCP address when logging on to the network. Getting SteelTrace to operate successfully in this environment will probably require further configuration of the firewalls and network servers. We recommend consulting your system administrator for help with this.

Old KB# 10328

DISCLAIMER:

Some content on Community Tips & Information pages is not officially supported by Micro Focus. Please refer to our Terms of Use for more detail.
Version history
Revision #:
1 of 1
Last update:
‎2013-02-15 17:40
Updated by:

The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.