Having problems with your account or logging in?
A lot of changes are happening in the community right now. Some may affect you. READ MORE HERE

How do I fix my traces if the hostname or port for the Quality Center or StarTeam server has changed?

How do I fix my traces if the hostname or port for the Quality Center or StarTeam server has changed?

Problem:

Resolution:

Version: 2005 R2 SP1, 2006, 2008 WW

Note: This article does not apply to the server-side TestDirector integration that existed prior to CaliberRM version 2005 R2 SP1.

The name of the server is stored in the CaliberRM database when you create a trace to Quality Center or StarTeam. The trace will no longer work correctly if you move the QC or ST database to another server, change the hostname, or port number. There is no mechanism in place by which the CaliberRM server can be notified of such changes.

In order for you to restore your traceability to the new server endpoint, you will need to change the data that is stored in the CaliberRM database to point to the new location. This can be accomplished by using the CRM_DBTool attached to this article along with the -w2 switch as in the following example.

Important: Please be sure to make a backup of your database before running this command. Borland recommends that you always make a backup, and test that backup by restoring to a test machine, before running tools that commit changes to your database.

Execute the CRM_DBTool from the command line:

C:\>CRM_DBTool -w2 no

This command will prompt you for an "Original string". This is the string you want to find. For example, this is where you should enter the name of your old server endpoint. String matching is case sensitive.

This command goes through each of your traces to vendor addin objects and does a simple find and replace on the strings that represent the location of the vendor object.

The command will then prompt you for a "Replacement string". This is the string that will replace all those that match the "Original string".

For example, you would enter the following to change the endpoint usats-support:8080 to usatd-newserver for all of your vendor traces.

Original string:
usats-support:8080

Replacement string:
usatd-newserver

old string = TEST\http://usats-support:8080/qcbin/\DOMAIN\Project\15
new string = TEST\http://usatd-newserver/qcbin/\DOMAIN\Project\15

Important note: Be aware that there is the potential that a string that matches your "Original string" may be found elsewhere in your trace data and replaced, breaking traceability for that trace.

You can do a trial run of this command by executing the following command:

C:\>CRM_DBTool -w2 -l no

The -l switch will enable logging. When command completes, enter "no" when prompted to commit the changes.

This will generate a log file that contains all of the strings that will be changed so that you can see what changes will take place. You should inspect the output in this file to be sure that you accept all of the changes as being what you intend before running the tool again to commit the changes to your database.

You should try to include additional context, such as the port number, in the strings that you provide as input to significantly lessen the potential for unintential replacements.

Please note that the CRM_DBTool attached to this article was designed to work with CaliberRM version 2006 or 2008WW. You should not use it for any other versions. Please ask support if you need the CRM_DBTool for the version of the software that you are using.

CRM_DBTool.zip

Old KB# 15930

DISCLAIMER:

Some content on Community Tips & Information pages is not officially supported by Micro Focus. Please refer to our Terms of Use for more detail.
Version history
Revision #:
1 of 1
Last update:
‎2013-02-15 18:27
Updated by:

The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.