Having problems with your account or logging in?
A lot of changes are happening in the community right now. Some may affect you. READ MORE HERE

Why do I receive "COM Server error" when attempting to run DocFactory?

Problem:

Resolution:

Description:

When attempting to run DocFactory, I recieve an error "COM Server Error" at the step of opening Word Document.

COM_Server_Error

Details:

A basic MS Office package is required to be installed on the client machine that will be using DocFactory. DocFactory behind the scenes pulls data from the CaliberRM database to a local Access database in the users temp directory. The next phase effectively uses the Mail Merge utility of MS Word to merge the data from the Access Database iwith the defined template.

This is normally seen on the CaliberRM Server machine, since MS Office is common for user workstations, but not necessarily on managed servers.

This has also been seen in environments wherein Citrix Server is used to host the CaliberRM Client software, and although the user loads the CaliberRM client on their workstation which has MS Office, the software is instantiated from the Citrix Server Machine and that is where DocFactory will attempt to instantiate the COM calls for interfacing with MS Word.

Solution:

Install a basic MS Office package consisting of Word, Access, and Excel which will allow the user to generate documents using DocFactory. For images or embedded objects within the report, the viewer must have the appropriate application on their machine in order to interpret the information.

Old KB# 16385

DISCLAIMER:

Some content on Community Tips & Information pages is not officially supported by Micro Focus. Please refer to our Terms of Use for more detail.
Version history
Revision #:
1 of 1
Last update:
‎2013-02-15 18:33
Updated by:

The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.