Highlighted
Ian Pletcher Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Getting Traced Requirements Into A Grid

Jump to solution

Can anybody advise me how I can write a filter that will allow me to return all the requirements that are TRACED TO a specific requirement into the requirements grid?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
WarrenB Absent Member.
Absent Member.

RE: Getting Traced Requirements Into A Grid

Jump to solution

Hi Ian,

Did you try the custom solution outlined in the knowledge base article below?

213.83.72.241/.../article.aspx

This should allow you to return the information you require in a Document Factory report.

If you need any assistance setting this up, please log a support incident and I will give you a call.

Best Regards,

Warren

0 Likes
6 Replies
WarrenB Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Jump to solution

Hi Ian,

It is not possible to filter for this information within the Requirement Grid.

You can return all requirements which have a Trace To, but it is not possible to specify a specific requirement ID.

However using the Traceability Diagram or Traceability Matrix you should be able to see what requirements are ‘Traced To’ a specified requirement.

See steps below:

1. Open CaliberRM client and select the requirement you are interested in

2. Select Tools > Traceability Diagram

The requirement with the green line below it is the selected requirement. This will show any requirements which trace to the requirement you selected.

Alternatively using the Traceability Matrix:

1. Open CaliberRM client and select Tools > Traceability Matrix

2. For the Rows filter add the criteria: ID Equals <id number of the requirement you are interested in>

3. For the Columns filter add the criteria: ‘Has Trace To’

4. Click OK

Does this return the information you require?

Thanks,

Warren

0 Likes
Absent Member.

Jump to solution

Hi Warren, Thank you for the response. Unfortunately, neither suggestion meets my need.

The reason I wanted to return the results into the requirements grid was that I want to output just those requirements using the doc factory and if I can get the result into the grid with a filter I can also use the filter with doc factory.

I need to output a set of requirements that are traced to a specifc requirements and unfortunately I need to output the contents of several user defined attributes of the requirements and I belive that you cannot output UDAs when using $BEGIN_TRACES in the document factory.

A possible solution is to maintain a UDA with the ID of the requirements each traced requirement is traced to. This will allow be to acheive what I need, but I am effectively the trace information and a UDA with the trace information. This isn't a very effiicient use of time!

0 Likes
WarrenB Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Jump to solution

Hi Ian,

Did you try the custom solution outlined in the knowledge base article below?

213.83.72.241/.../article.aspx

This should allow you to return the information you require in a Document Factory report.

If you need any assistance setting this up, please log a support incident and I will give you a call.

Best Regards,

Warren

0 Likes
Absent Member.

Jump to solution

Hi Warren,

I have been looking into using the work around suggested in the knowledge base answer. The work around only solves part of my problem.

The other problem I have is sorting the traced requirements into a sequence where they make sense to the reader.

The sequence I want is hierarchy order, but unfortunately there does not appear to be any way of sorting the trace to requirements into this sequence using $begin traces, $end traces in the doc factory. (I am aware of the sort traces options, but that does not support sorting into hierarchy order.)

My challenge is this to produce a document containing a set of use cases (each use case is a single CaliberRM requirement) when each use case is followed by a supporting set of requirements which detail individual business rules, functional & non functional requirements that support the use cases.

Supporting requirements are linked to the use case(s) they support by a trace to requirements. When outputting the supporting requirements I need to output the requirements in the right sequence and with information that is stored in UDAs.

I am struggling to see how I can acheive this using the docfactory, even using the datamart to enhance the report as the KB article suggests.

I am wondering whether I might be able to do something using a Word Macro and the datamart to create the entire supporting requirements section for each use case.

I can see that this might be possible, but I have no experience of writing Word macros, the Word object model or VBA, although I do have a past life as a VB programmer so I have some understanding of how it works.

Presumeably it would be possible to write a datamart query to return the details, including UDA values of the requirements traced to a specified ID sorted by hierarchy and then write a macro to insert the results row by row into my word document at a specified location.

Unfortunately, I'm short of time to experiment.

0 Likes
WarrenB Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Jump to solution

Hi Ian,

Writing custom VBA code would fall into the realms of consultancy services.

If you wish I can ask someone from consultancy services to contact you with regards developing a custom solution to produce this report?

Please note that this would be at an additional cost to yourselves.

Best Regards,

Warren

0 Likes
Absent Member.

Jump to solution

Sorry, I don't have a budget for consultancy.

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.