Ian Pletcher Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Why are some spaces output as non breaking spaces in a Word document?

Jump to solution

Can anyone explain the circumstances in which CaliberRM/docfactory treats a space as a non breaking space.

Here is an example requirement output to word with the Word display formatting turned on.

The little superscript ciricle character is a non breaking space.

The document factory has the phrase "zero to 10 many" (found a mistake in my English in picking this example) seperated by non breaking spaces rather than normal spaces. This causes the phrase to get treated by Word as thought it was a single word. My question is how/why does Caliber/document factory decide to separate the word with non breaking spaces instead of normal spaces?

It happens quite regularly in my requirements and I'm pretty sure I'm not doing anything different while typing the text into Caliber. These requirements were authored in Caliber, not imported or copied from another source.

Likewise, every blank line between paragraphs has had a non breaking space inserted before the new line. Thats not causing a problem, but I'd like to understand why - there is no space present at all in the original requirement.

In the above example they are not causing any real formatting issues, but if they appear around the end of the line they can make a complete mess of the paragraph format. It is easy enough to globally find and replace non breaking spaces with a normal space in word, but it is annoying having to do it every time I generate a requirements document. Can anyone explain the scenario where non breaking spaces are output instead of a normal space character?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JosephOD Absent Member.
Absent Member.

RE: Why are some spaces output as non breaking spaces in a Word document?

Jump to solution

Hi Ian,

This non breaking space is added to a Caliber description field when an extra space or multiple spaces are included after text.

As an example - this is text [space][space] introduces a non breaking space.

If this is a major issue please log a support incident and we can look into this for you.

Regards,

Joseph

0 Likes
1 Reply
JosephOD Absent Member.
Absent Member.

RE: Why are some spaces output as non breaking spaces in a Word document?

Jump to solution

Hi Ian,

This non breaking space is added to a Caliber description field when an extra space or multiple spaces are included after text.

As an example - this is text [space][space] introduces a non breaking space.

If this is a major issue please log a support incident and we can look into this for you.

Regards,

Joseph

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.