Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Radia Timer Issues

hi all.

i've got some timer issues. hope u guys can help me out. i've set my "patch timer" to something like DAILY(ZSYSDATE,1230,1300) & "RANDOM" + "DEFERRED". what i like it to do is for clients to connect to RCS everyday ONLY between 1230hrs to 1330hrs to check for new patches. but it seems like every time the machines login or restart, it'll also check for the patches. is there anything i need to edit?
another issue is, i've specify "cop=y" for the radskman command. but it seems like the machines sometimes execute the command without the "cop=y". any ideas?
thks.
0 Likes
14 Replies
Absent Member.. Absent Member..
Absent Member..

Hard to say not knowing what version you are on, but...

RE Timer: You need to add a 'dead stop' time: DAILY(ZSYSDATE,1230,1300,####) for PCs that are powered off or busy during the window so they don't kick off when they are powered on.
In regards to PCs that are kicking off patch connects even when they are powered on during that window - double check the ZTIMEQ object in the client's lib folder & event logs to make sure it's actually the timer that is causing it. We had an issue in our environment with qcount heaps (basically a patch connect with a qcount variable in the connect string, not set up by a timer) that were causing repeated patch connects on the clients regardless of timers and it required a client update from support.

RE Cop: Symptoms that make it seem like the clients aren't using cop? Logs?
0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

my radia version is 4.

i've actually added a "dead stop time" but it still connects after i reboot even outside the time range. i m not sure whether it's trigger by timer or something else.

i've attached 2 logs to show that the cop thing sometimes work and sometimes not.

thanks.
0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

hi.

here is 1 more log.

thanks.
0 Likes
Absent Member.. Absent Member..
Absent Member..

Look at the ZTIMEQ object in an affected client's lib folder (and/or upload to share). This will show you what connects are being scheduled and possibly what is scheduling them.

0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

thks.
0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

In COP there is a setting to control whether or not you want HPCA to run in place of a login script. I'm sorry i don't remember the exactly Class or property name.

Also in the Timer properties there is a setting to control whether or not to execute if the last scheduled time was missed.

Hope this helps a little.
0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

I had a chance to get those properties...

In Client\Settings
LSCRIPT=Y
This will disable HPCA from running after user login. Some HPCA installs will still cause a login run to occur.

(Looks like you already had this one)
In Software\Timer
Change yoru timer property ZSCHTYPE to DEFFERRED.

I'm not sure if this helps, but something to check.

Also you might want to check the script that is setup as EXBEXIT in Client\Settings.

In our old enviroment, when we used patch manager - a Software connect took place and then Patch mgmt connect - if software required a reboot then the EXBEXIT script would populate ZTIMEQ with a "ONCE"/"STARTUP" timer.

I'm not sure if this one would work at all but on your timer instance, you can try adding userfreq=23,machfreq=23. So that it doesn't run the connect if it has run within the last 23 hours. I'm not sure if this is passed to the Startup timer, but may be worth a try.

0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

thks for the advice.
0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

@jloxton

Hi jloxton, was just wondering which patch(es) you applied to your clients to fix the "issue in our environment with qcount heaps (basically a patch connect with a qcount variable in the connect string, not set up by a timer)" - as we have the same problem.

Any info would be most appriciated!
Cheers,
Justin
0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Hi Justin,

Please confirm the version you are running.
0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Hi Daniel,

We are running version 4, with various patches. Attached is a snippet of a clients' radstate.log that has the module versions section.

Thanks,
Justin
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.