nickwaters Trusted Contributor.
Trusted Contributor.

Pvconfig Test Target "failed"

Hi all,

I'm trying to set up a VCENTER target in Cloud Optimizer, however when I test the target with a correct hostname and username/password values that I know to be correct, I get a very quick response to the command which reports "Failed:" and no further info. Is there a way I can work out why the test is failing in this case?

Thanks!

0 Likes
6 Replies
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Re: Pvconfig Test Target "failed"

Hello Nick,

If any special character in the password or username, it can be falsely interpreted by the shell. Try putting them inside single quotes. If it still doesn't work, you have the option to send me the credentials through a private message and we can work it out together.

Also check that you have network connectivity to the vCenters port 443, e.g.:

# /usr/bin/nc -z vcw701.gale7.net 443
Connection to vcw701.gale7.net 443 port [tcp/https] succeeded!

Regards,
Thierry.

If you find that this or any post resolves your issue, please be sure to mark it as an accepted solution.
0 Likes
Trusted Contributor.

Hi Thierry,

Thank you for the quick reply!

I have tried again this morning. In installed netcat to verify the connectivity and there seems to be no issue there (connection test succeeded).

I run the pvconfig -tt -ty VCENTER -t <host or IP (both tried) -u "user@domain" -p "<password>", but I get a near instant response of "Connetion to <host or IP> Failed:" and nothing further. The username has no special characters other than an underscore. The credentials have been verified directly via the VCENTER interface.

I am not able to share full details directly I'm afraid.

Is there any option to increase the debug output from the pvconfig command?

I have also tried adding the target - which completes successfully, but then the target appears in the "Not started" state and nothing I try seems to get it started.

I will try and access CO via the web frontend and see if I can get more information that way, but so far firewall setup has meant this is problematic.

Is there any other suggestions?

Thanks again for your help.

0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Hi Nick,

In your example, you are still using double quotes. Do try with single quotes, as this will significantly reduce the amount of interpretation by the shell. Just as an example, see the these typical bash shell behaviors using double quotes versus single quotes:

# echo "!abc"
-bash: !abc: event not found
# echo '!abc'
!abc

# echo "abc$def"
abc
# echo 'abc$def'
abc$def

If still unlucky, you could obtain collector logs in /var/opt/OV/log/status.virtserver, after adding the target (either through the UI or with pvconfig -at ...). It is also possible to increase the trace level of the collector in the file /var/opt/OV/conf/PV/VILog4j.xml by changing the keyword "info" into "trace", e.g.:

...etc...
  <!-- all, trace, debug, info, warn, error, fatal, no -->
  <logger name="com.hp.virt">
        <level value="trace" /> <!-- Change it to change the logging levels -->
        <appender-ref ref="statusfile" />
  </logger>
...etc...

There is no need to restart processes when modifying this setting.
However, don't expect a lot of info, even with trace level.

Regards,
Thierry.

If you find that this or any post resolves your issue, please be sure to mark it as an accepted solution.
0 Likes
Trusted Contributor.

Thanks Thierry,

I have tried with single quotes around both the username and password, but still get the same result ("Failed:").

I have tried adding the target, it gets created, but with a status of "Not started". If I then try and start the target, I get an error of "Target <hostname> (VCENTER) not found." I can delete the target however.

I have seen this issue with "not found" targets quite often - is there a known fix for this?

Thanks again for the suggestions so far.

Nick

0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Hello Nick,

The latest version is 3.04 and it has hotfixes, but none that would address this type of problem.

The fact that the target remains in status "Not started" means that the java process VIdaemon is not even trying to connect to the vCenter. This could also indicate a more generic problem, not specific to the configuration of this target. You could check in the collector logs (/var/opt/OV/log/status.virtserver) for additional clues.

At this stage it is difficult to propose the next steps. I would recommend that you submit a support case, so we can check your setup through private channels.

Regards,
Thierry.

0 Likes
Brendon Curmi
Visitor.

Hello Nick, Thierry,

As we discovered, the issue was due to having the HASH_ALGO set.

Removing it and restarting using pvsupport, solved the issue!

Thanks! 😄 

MicroFocus Software Support Engineer

If you find this post resolves your issue, please be sure to mark it as an accepted solution.
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.