Top things to consider when managing mobile content risk

Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert
2 0 1,709

We hear now more than ever, and we get it, that the way users need to access data is in a constant state of change, especially with the stay at home measures we are all now experiencing. We are spending more time reacting to lost devices, data leaks, security breaches and employees clicking links than proactively planning. Regardless, the issue remains, organizations still have to provide end-users access to corprate data, on any device they own, at the moment they need it, no matter where they are and do it in way that isn’t going to hurt the company.

Top things to consider to manage mobile content risk.pngThe top things companies need to consider when managing mobile content

1. How will your users access their data from the device they have, wherever they are, whenever they need it?
  2. How will you leverage Identity based controls to help ensure that users can access only the specific data in which they should have access?
  3. How will you protect your data from loss with capabilities such as wiping the data in the event a device is lost, protecting the data at rest with encryption? What about when data is shared with outside partners, customers and vendors?
  4. Can you ensure proper authentication with support for multifactor authentication?
  5. Is your data being securely backed up to prevent the company losing its data in the event a device is lost or even from accidental file deletion?
  6. Can you leverage your existing file locations, file permissions and identity repositories to control access to the data while delivering anywhere, anytime access?
  7. Can your users easily collaborate with other users, in a modern, secure fashion, wherever they are?

Cautions in the cloud…. The dirty little secrets

In the rush to the cloud, there are factors that organizations need to consider that no one wants to talk about. Beginning with the fact that many of the existing Cloud solutions require your data to be in their cloud. Yes, the cloud can ease the burden on IT and server maintaince. However, there are many additional costs to consider that you may not see when you register for the service. Some things to keep in mind:

• Your data will need to be migrated into the cloud-based system
  • Additional costs: migration fees can be based upon size, duration of migration, and if professional services are needed to migrate the data
  • Per user data access cost, with potential additional cost for multiple devices
  • Data Storage Cost increase as data grows
  • Often times getting data to the cloud is cheap, while accessing that data in the cloud is much more costly

If you are in a highly-regulated industry or have data sovereignty concerns there are many questons you need to ask before you make the move to the cloud and hand control of your data over to someone outside of your organization. Many regulated organizations, when asking the following questions, have elected not to make a move to the cloud based on the answers that got. Questions companies need to ask the provider:

• Who has access to my data?
  • What level of security clearance do individuals have that have acces to my data?
  • Do any non-security clearance individuals have access to the location where my data is stored?
  • Where does my data reside? What is the exact address and location where my data will be stored? Am I able to walk in and get my data if necessary?
  • Am I able to have my data reside in the different contries throughout the world to ensure data sovereignty? What level of security can I depend on each country?
  • What disaster recovery plans are in place?
  • How often is a disaster drill performed?
  • What is the redundancy protocal? Where will my redundant or failover data be stored?

Again, we get it, you’ve got years, and possibly decades, invested in your data – and not just the data, but the trustee and rights management that goes with it. Many organizations, like yours, need a solution now.

What if you could leverage your existing infrastructure by taking the investment you’ve made in Windows file shares, OES file shares and even SharePoint on-prem document repositories and making it available to your users now? No expensive cloud migrations, no need to re-create your trustees, simply the ability for your employees to access their data, from any device, at any time, from anywhere. Where users can access, view, share their data with allowed entities either inside or outside your organization, comment on the data, and where appropriate edit the data.

Imagine having complete control of your mobile data, adhere to data privacy regulations, meet data sovereignty needs, know who has access to what, know where all organizational data resides with the ability to instantly locate, remote wipe and block data from being transferred from one application to another. All, managed safely behind your organizational firewall. In addition, having the ability to automatically and remotely back up all endpoints including mobile devices, tablets, laptops, and desktops.

At Micro Fous, we have been implementing these types of solution for our customers for years and we can help you get up and running quickly.

Feel free to contact me to set a time to see how we can help…

***Special Offer*** Micro Focus would like to help make it easier to ensure business continuity for your remote workers and your organization during the coronavirus crisis. We are offering several packages designed to help you and your teams, including a 90-day trial of Micro Focus Filr, our easy enterprise-ready sync-and-share solution with real-time collaborative file editing capabilities. Please visit our business continuity offers page to learn more.

The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.