Meet Our September Featured Knowledge Partner: Mathias Braun, Senior Systems Engineer

Meet Our September Featured Knowledge Partner: Mathias Braun, Senior Systems Engineer

This September, the Micro Focus Community is launching our Featured Knowledge Partner Program. Each month, we will highlight a Knowledge Partner and their outstanding contributions to the Community, their background, and their experiences with Micro Focus products.

The Knowledge Partners Program is a combination of customers, partners, and enthusiasts who deliver the best, most up to date, real-world experiences and expertise to the community that even we at Micro Focus cannot always match. We are thrilled to be able to recognize these community members who provide exceptional value and contributions to us and our customers via the Program through this new initiative.

Our first featured member is Mathias Braun, aka mathiasbraun in the Micro Focus Community. He is an expert in Collaboration Solutions and Security products, particularly in Open Enterprise Server, GroupWise, ZENworks Configuration Management, eDirectory, and Identity Manager. In this interview, Mathias gives some insight into his background and experiences in the Micro Focus Community.

(Answers have been edited for length and clarity.)

Tell us a little bit about yourself and your career.

It is not too easy to summarize 36 years of IT. Generally, I like to concentrate on products which give you a chance to make them work properly if you know your stuff. Originally, I did not plan to make a career with IT, so naturally having fun with products was my priority. As time goes by (i.e. your body gets too old to live from sports, music, or military service) you will eventually have to start charging at some point. But the fundamental idea never changed: "If it doesn't work, leave it to someone else." This applies to virtually everything with IT as well: OS, storage, networking, mail, etc.

One fun fact: sometimes I analyze Windows traces. This pretty much satisfies my need for "second-hand embarrassment" without having to watch reality TV shows.

How long have you used Micro Focus products? What are the primary products you use and why?

I started in the early days of NetWare when Banyan's "Streettalk" was the only way to get a directory service. But to name my main products, they are Open Enterprise Server, eDirectory, GroupWise, and ZENworks Configuration Management. I use Identity Manager now and then, but I leave these questions for the rest of the gang. They start way after the point where I have reached my limits.

How long have you been a Micro Focus Community Knowledge Partner? Why did you first decide to join the program?

It was more an invitation than joining myself. But I felt honored, of course, and did not hesitate. That was in early 2018.

How do you help the Community as a Knowledge Partner?

Naturally, my contributions go to those areas where I am confident that I can help (see above). But I mostly do "forum work." I must keep a little knowledge to make money with.

What are the highlights of the Micro Focus community?

I think that these days especially it is important to help organizations and institutions which are not entitled to vendor support. Seeing and resolving problems other ones have before they hit "my" networks is a huge advantage. There have been times when you could merely cover everything in a lab, but due to hardware (and other) reasons, that is not possible these days. And as users tend to do funky things you would hardly think of (and they are rapidly getting "better" by doing this daily), real-world experiences cannot be simulated.

Want to learn more? Visit here for more information on the Community Knowledge Partner Program.

Labels (1)

DISCLAIMER:

Some content on Community Tips & Information pages is not officially supported by Micro Focus. Please refer to our Terms of Use for more detail.
Top Contributors
Version history
Revision #:
2 of 2
Last update:
‎2020-09-10 15:10
Updated by:

The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.