jt705 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

11.2.4 agent upgrade fails

We have 2 zenworks servers 11.2.4 and 11.3.2. I want to move the entire workstation devices from the 11.2.4 to the 11.3.2.
I have been doing this by running script that unreg the workstation from the 11.2.4 server removes the GUI and the registers the workstation with the 11.3.2 server. For about 80% of the workstations when they register with the 11.3.2 server the agent on the workstation upgrades from 11.2.4 to 11.3.2. For the other 20% they register with the 11.3.2 server fine but the agent will not upgrade. So we have workstations with old agent on new server.
The workstations that fail are a mixture of xp and windows 7. From my investigation the problem appears to be the ZENPreAgent service either does not start or it does start but then stops during the upgrade and the upgrade fails.

Anybody got any ideas or a better way of doing this
Labels (2)
0 Likes
11 Replies
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Re: 11.2.4 agent upgrade fails

jt705;2406060 wrote:
We have 2 zenworks servers 11.2.4 and 11.3.2. I want to move the entire workstation devices from the 11.2.4 to the 11.3.2.
I have been doing this by running script that unreg the workstation from the 11.2.4 server removes the GUI and the registers the workstation with the 11.3.2 server. For about 80% of the workstations when they register with the 11.3.2 server the agent on the workstation upgrades from 11.2.4 to 11.3.2. For the other 20% they register with the 11.3.2 server fine but the agent will not upgrade. So we have workstations with old agent on new server.
The workstations that fail are a mixture of xp and windows 7. From my investigation the problem appears to be the ZENPreAgent service either does not start or it does start but then stops during the upgrade and the upgrade fails.

Anybody got any ideas or a better way of doing this

You need to upgrade all of your primaries before upgrading any managed devices.
0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Jt705,

are these servers in different zones? If not, like Craig says, you
*must* upgrade all the servers to 11.3.2 first...

--

Shaun Pond
in my "day job" I work for ENGL; our aim is to make Windows deployment
easy

0 Likes
jt705 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Shaun Pond;2406115 wrote:
Jt705,

are these servers in different zones? If not, like Craig says, you
*must* upgrade all the servers to 11.3.2 first...

--

Shaun Pond
easy

Hi
Yep two different zones, zone 1 is 4 primary's all on 11.2.4. ..Zone 2 consist of 1 primary and 4 satellites all on version 11.3.2. I want to have all the workstations off zone 1 and on to zone 2 so i can shut down zone 1/servers. I have moved most of the workstations by using a simple unreg old zone (1) and rereg new zone (2) script.. while that part was easy some of the workstations will not update their agent when connect to the 11.3.2 server. I hope that makes sense.
0 Likes
Absent Member.

Jt705,

it's worth looking at then zmd-messages log to see if it's trying ot
talk to the correct server! The problem will not be related to the zen
pre-agent service, that's supposed to shut itself down if the agent is
installed.

--

Shaun Pond
easy

0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

jt705;2406197 wrote:
Hi
Yep two different zones, zone 1 is 4 primary's all on 11.2.4. ..Zone 2 consist of 1 primary and 4 satellites all on version 11.3.2. I want to have all the workstations off zone 1 and on to zone 2 so i can shut down zone 1/servers. I have moved most of the workstations by using a simple unreg old zone (1) and rereg new zone (2) script.. while that part was easy some of the workstations will not update their agent when connect to the 11.3.2 server. I hope that makes sense.

I've always uninstalled the agent from Zone1, and then reinstalled with agent from Zone2.
I can see issues with simply un-registering and re-registering if the zone agent configs aren't the same (ie, bits of the agent that are disabled or set to not installed).

Assuming your last bit is being interpreted correctly by me (it sounds like you can successfully re-register to the new zone and the device shows up in the ZCC and then gets the System Update Assignment--but then fails to system update).
--Kevin
0 Likes
jt705 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Hi
Thanks for all the advice..I thought just unreg from one zone and reg to new zone would work, and I guess it did for the most part ..However I have decided to follow the advice here and do a uninstall of the agent and then a reinstall of the new agent ..i was hoping to minimize the interruption to users ..looks like it can not be helped. I have now written a script to copy the the new agent to the workstation, uninstall the old agent in quiet mode , reboot the workstation then run the new agent install which when finished will reboot again. Hopefully I can cut the rest of the workstations over to the new zone with out drama.
0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

jt705;2406678 wrote:
Hi
Thanks for all the advice..I thought just unreg from one zone and reg to new zone would work, and I guess it did for the most part ..However I have decided to follow the advice here and do a uninstall of the agent and then a reinstall of the new agent ..i was hoping to minimize the interruption to users ..looks like it can not be helped. I have now written a script to copy the the new agent to the workstation, uninstall the old agent in quiet mode , reboot the workstation then run the new agent install which when finished will reboot again. Hopefully I can cut the rest of the workstations over to the new zone with out drama.

I stumbled across this TID in my pile of things I Printed out:

"How to move an agent to a new zone."

Maybe it'll help you with an easier way.
0 Likes
Absent Member.

Kjhurni,

> 700620

--

Shaun Pond
easy

0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Shaun Pond;2406839 wrote:
Kjhurni,

> 700620

--

Shaun Pond
easy

AUGH!!! I forgot a ZERO. I'm a big loser. LOL!

Thanks Shaun!
0 Likes
jt705 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Thanks for the TID.. I had not seen that one..However I did find it very similar to the script i wrote. It worked for about 80% of the workstations
At this stage the uninstall/reinstall script option is looking the best. I just wanted to make things as painless as I could for the users.

Thanks again
0 Likes
jt705 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

In case anyone is interested or cares, Here is an example of the script I wrote which seems to do the job fairly well. Its for windows 7, Feel free to comment or change

The bat file
---------------------------------
MD C:\novell\zenagent
Copy /Y Y:\Client\ZEN_Client\64bit\PreAgentPkg_AgentCompleteDotNet64.exe c:\novell\zenagent
\\Server\Client\ZEN_Client\zeninstall\certmgr.exe -add -all \\server\Client\ZEN_Client\zeninstall\ca.der -s -r localMachine root
"C:\Program Files (x86)\Novell\ZENworks\bin\zenworksuninstall.exe" --local-only --esm-uninstall-password <Password> --fde-uninstall-password <Password> --user administrator --password <Password> --quiet
REG ADD HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce /v ZENAgent /t REG_SZ /d c:\novell\zenagent\PreAgentPkg_AgentCompleteDotNet64.exe
shutdown /r /c "The computer must now be restarted. When computer restarts the new Zenagent will be installed"
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.