NFS
New Member.

11.4.3 Linux IOA broken on SLES11 SP4

Hello Everybody,

after installing the latest OS patches on my SLES11 SP4 machines i see that ZCM 11.4.3 IOA on these machines is broken. Java is throwing hundreds of hs_err_pidxx.log files. Uninstall and reinstall of IOA does not solve Problem. jsvc-processes runs infinitive and consume lots of cpu resources. Agent start/stop script is not working, must kill java processes manually.
Using zac commands on console throws "Error processing the ZAC command. null". Did an unsinstall on all machines to avoid heavy system loads.

Does anyone have same problems and maybe a fix?

Best regards and a nice weekend to all

Lars
Labels (2)
0 Likes
9 Replies
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Re: 11.4.3 Linux IOA broken on SLES11 SP4

Am 23.06.2017 um 10:14 schrieb NFS:
>
> Hello Everybody,
>
> after installing the latest OS patches on my SLES11 SP4 machines i see
> that ZCM 11.4.3 IOA on these machines is broken. Java is throwing
> hundreds of hs_err_pidxx.log files. Uninstall and reinstall of IOA does
> not solve Problem. jsvc-processes runs infinitive and consume lots of
> cpu resources. Agent start/stop script is not working, must kill java
> processes manually.
> Using zac commands on console throws "Error processing the ZAC command.
> null". Did an unsinstall on all machines to avoid heavy system loads.
>
> Does anyone have same problems and maybe a fix?

https://www.novell.com/support/kb/doc.php?id=7021007

CU,
--
Massimo Rosen
Micro Focus Knowledge Partner
No emails please!
http://www.cfc-it.de
CU,
--
Massimo Rosen
No emails please!
0 Likes
NFS
New Member.

mrosen;2460349 wrote:
Am 23.06.2017 um 10:14 schrieb NFS:
>
> Hello Everybody,
>
> after installing the latest OS patches on my SLES11 SP4 machines i see
> that ZCM 11.4.3 IOA on these machines is broken. Java is throwing
> hundreds of hs_err_pidxx.log files. Uninstall and reinstall of IOA does
> not solve Problem. jsvc-processes runs infinitive and consume lots of
> cpu resources. Agent start/stop script is not working, must kill java
> processes manually.
> Using zac commands on console throws "Error processing the ZAC command.
> null". Did an unsinstall on all machines to avoid heavy system loads.
>
> Does anyone have same problems and maybe a fix?

https://www.novell.com/support/kb/doc.php?id=7021007

CU,
--
Massimo Rosen
No emails please!

Hello Massimo,

had found the TID just some Minutes before:-). Thanks for the info.
Bad thing for us, it does affect some more applications, worst of all our Backup Solution too.
Now waiting for new patch hopely coming this day otherwise trying to revert to former kernel version at least for our Backup system.
No risk no fun:-)

regards

Lars
0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

There is a Work-Around for ZCM, but I have intentionally not posted since it is not official and only want it applied in control cases and may not fully address the problem.
Once something is posted on the internet, folks will randomly try it forever for random reasons and the work-around is not obvious to see its in place and could lead to issues down the road when it is forgotten it is there....

I'd be happy to private message it to you if you cannot do an SR but an SR would be recommended.
As far as the Kernel Bug, I can see a note that they are hoping to have an updated Kernel patch "Friday or Monday".
0 Likes
jqueiroz Contributor.
Contributor.

I'm facing a very similar problem, after updating my servers to the latest patches.
The only difference is that I'm using SLES11SP3+OES11SP2, kernel 3.0.101-0.47.102-default and/or 3.0.101-0.47.102-xen.

Interestingly, I have one machine running SLES11SP4+OES11SP3 which wasn't affected. This is a Xen VM, kernel version 3.0.101-107-xen.
0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

The issue should be fixed on SLES 11 SP4 and SLES 12 SP2 with the latest patches....the problem kernel was only out for a brief time until it was fixed for those versions.
If you are seeing something similar on SLES 11 SP3, I would contact Suse Linux Support to see what is going on.

In short, for SLES 11 SP4 and SLES 12 SP2, a fix for one issue caused issues with many Java Applications....of which ZCM makes heavy use.
I'm not aware of a bug in SLES 11 SP3, but quite possible the bad fix got back ported at some point...but it's best to get with the OS support team on this issue.
0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

And to be clear........

If the issue is......
ZCM was fine.....I applied a Kernel Update to SLES....ZENworks Java Services keep crashing.....then check with OS Support to see if the bug for SLES 11 SP4 / SLES 12 SP2 may also impact SLES 11 SP3 and if there is a fix.

You could reference Defect#1045340 to give them a heads up to see if the problem code there may have been put into SLES 11 SP3 as well.
0 Likes
Highlighted
jqueiroz Contributor.
Contributor.

One of my servers is having this problem again. Interestingly, it haves all the available updates, and the latest kernel available.
This machine is a VM running under Hyper-V, and have SLES 11 SP4 + OES11 SP3.

When I start service "novell-zenworks-xplatzmd", thousands of "hs_err_pidxxxxx.log" files start appearing on the / directory (or in the directory the "service" command was executed).

Not sure how to solve this, I have several similar servers and no other have this issue.
0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Not sure if you can Uninstall and Re-install the Inventory Only Agent to see if that helps.
However..quite possibly it may be an OS issue as in this thread.
In such a case....not much I can suggest.

Also there are not any known issues that would cause this at this time.
Other than Uninstall and Reinstall......I can't think of anything to suggest.

Of course, Since it is a Virtual Server...possible the VM is not being assigned sufficient resources..........
0 Likes
jqueiroz Contributor.
Contributor.

When you said "Since it is a Virtual Server...possible the VM is not being assigned sufficient resources..........", I started investigating around this.

The virtual machine was configured to 4GB (dynamic), 1 processor, of which 3.8GB was in use. I changed it to 6GB/2 processors, without results.

So I though if it was possible that the JVM was running out of memory for some reason, and started digging on how to check this.

Looking in the init script, I found the command line below:
/opt/novell/zenworks/bin/jsvc -Djavax.xml.stream.XMLInputFactory=com.ctc.wstx.stax.WstxInputFactory -Djavax.xml.stream.XMLOutputFactory=com.ctc.wstx.stax.WstxOutputFactory -Djavax.xml.stream.XMLEventFactory=com.ctc.wstx.stax.WstxEventFactory -Djava.rmi.server.hostname=127.0.0.1 -Djava.awt.headless=true -Dderby.stream.error.file=/var/opt/novell/zenworks/derby.log -Djava.rmi.server.hostname=127.0.0.1 -Xms64m -Xmx512m -XX:MetaspaceSize=16m -XX:MaxMetaspaceSize=256m -nodowngrade -jvm server -user root -home /opt/novell/zenworks/share/zmd/java -outfile /var/opt/novell/zenworks/novell-zenworks-xplatzmd.out -pidfile /var/run/novell-zenworks-xplatzmd.pid -errfile '&1' -cp /opt/novell/zenworks/share/zmd/java/lib/tools.jar:/opt/novell/zenworks/lib/commons-daemon.jar:/opt/novell/zenworks/zmd/java/lib/core/org.eclipse.osgi_3.4.0.v20080605-1900.jar:/opt/novell/zenworks/zmd/java/lib/core/zmdcommons.jar:/opt/novell/zenworks/lib/zmd-client.jar:/opt/novell/zenworks/lib/XplatDaemon.jar:/opt/novell/zenworks/zmd/java/lib/core/uninstall-zmd-interface.jar:/opt/novell/zenworks/lib/uninstall-zmd-interface-1.0.0-client.jar:/opt/novell/zenworks/zmd/java/lib/core/uninstall-agent.jar:/opt/novell/zenworks/lib/uninstall-agent-1.0.0-client.jar:/opt/novell/zenworks/lib/app-launcher-client.jar com.novell.zenworks.agent.daemon.XplatDaemon -configuration /opt/novell/zenworks/zmd/java/lib/configuration

I had the idea of executing the command and watching the behaviour of the system. Strangely, not only the problem didn't appeared, as also the agent started working. I believe that there was a corrupt file somewhere at the file tree, so now I'm running fsck on all the partitions (in fact, not fsck, but xfs_check, as all the partitions are XFS, except /boot).
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.