iwu Absent Member.
Absent Member.

2m timer when distributing a GPO

I need an explanation of how Windows 10 behaves with GPOs.
Specific example or problem:
For example, I have built a GPO that will control the screensaver under Windows 10. Nothing complicated (which screensaver, when should be turned on etc).
I have now hung this GPO on a Win10 device group.
Now, if a refresh is made, or after a while the automatic refresh occurs, the logged-in user will see a countdown of 2 minutes, and he will be logged out after the time has expired without the possibility of canceling. This has led to trouble in the Win10 user group, since the 2m are extremely close or far too short to save and finish. The colleagues have some applications (CAD) running, which already take several minutes to save.

Now the question: Where does the 2m timer come from and how can I adjust this?

ZEN: 17.4
Windows 10 Professional x64 1803
no AD
Labels (1)
0 Likes
2 Replies
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Re: 2m timer when distributing a GPO

It' set on the Details Tab of the Policy.
It's the top setting.....
Simply Uncheck the box to force a re-login.

Honestly, this should not be set on any policy........

Note: Since applying one policy may force all GPO settings to re-apply, it's possible if another assigned GPO has this enabled it may prompt.
So make sure it's off on all of them.

iwu;2500626 wrote:
I need an explanation of how Windows 10 behaves with GPOs.
Specific example or problem:
For example, I have built a GPO that will control the screensaver under Windows 10. Nothing complicated (which screensaver, when should be turned on etc).
I have now hung this GPO on a Win10 device group.
Now, if a refresh is made, or after a while the automatic refresh occurs, the logged-in user will see a countdown of 2 minutes, and he will be logged out after the time has expired without the possibility of canceling. This has led to trouble in the Win10 user group, since the 2m are extremely close or far too short to save and finish. The colleagues have some applications (CAD) running, which already take several minutes to save.

Now the question: Where does the 2m timer come from and how can I adjust this?

ZEN: 17.4
Windows 10 Professional x64 1803
no AD
0 Likes
iwu Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: 2m timer when distributing a GPO

That explains a lot. We have 3 GPOs that have the 2 minute timer. I did not know that all policies will be used again.

Will remove the timer now.
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.