mvs_ruc_dk Absent Member.
Absent Member.

APSB15-06 Adobe Flash Player 17.0.0.169 for Windows

Hi
Does not seem to update (at least some) flash players for Plugin-based browsers - Firefox and Chrome browsers…
I have seen these problems with Flash Player patches before.
Regards, Mads
Labels (2)
0 Likes
21 Replies
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Re: APSB15-06 Adobe Flash Player 17.0.0.169 for Windows

mvs_ruc_dk;2384269 wrote:
Hi
Does not seem to update (at least some) flash players for Plugin-based browsers - Firefox and Chrome browsers…
Regards, Mads

How are you deploying? Via remediation/deployment or via ZPM Patch Policies?

Also, if the user has the browsers open, it requires a reboot before the patch actually applies.

--Kevin
0 Likes
Absent Member.

kjhurni;2384291 wrote:
How are you deploying? Via remediation/deployment or via ZPM Patch Policies?

Also, if the user has the browsers open, it requires a reboot before the patch actually applies.

--Kevin

In this case Patch Policies. In at least one case I´m sure browser was not running. Besides it would be nice to have such limitations documented....
0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

mvs_ruc_dk;2391544 wrote:
In this case Patch Policies. In at least one case I´m sure browser was not running. Besides it would be nice to have such limitations documented....

I'll see how the current versiondeploys in our environment. Previously, never had an issue with the prior versions via patch policy.
The limitations are actually Adobe, not ZPM. If you were to manually patch Flash yourself, the Adobe website/docs are pretty clear that you can't patch/upgrade .dll files that are in use and that a restart (with IE) is required before the new code will go into play. Even worse, with the manual method (obtaining the re-distributable Flash player code), you need to also remove (via a special program) the older version. And it's version specific.

I'm not sure for Flash (I'd have to check), but Novell/Lumension uses the Windows Update Service to patch things, and so if there's a problem you can usually look in the event viewer -> application log and filter by WSH events. But I'm not 100% sure if that applies to non-MS patches.

--Kevin
0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Hi
Regards, Mads

I believe Chrome, by default, auto-updates Flash. We don't sanction Chrome at our place, and some users have put it on anyway, and it causes some issues as sometimes it'll be auto-updating flash (doesn't tell you) at the same time that ZPM is trying to and bad things happen.

But I'm not sure if that also affects Firefox plugin as well (they may both use the same code).
0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Hi
Regards, Mads

I'm seeing the same thing with the .169 version as you. Updates IE ActiveX plugin, but not the FF one.
I'm going to open an SR.
I didn't see anything on Adobe's site or in the ZPM stuff that this was an ActiveX only update (Adobe has done that before where the ActiveX version isn't the same as the Plugin version).
0 Likes
toram Absent Member.
Absent Member.

kjhurni;2391947 wrote:
I'm seeing the same thing with the .169 version as you. Updates IE ActiveX plugin, but not the FF one.
I'm going to open an SR.
I didn't see anything on Adobe's site or in the ZPM stuff that this was an ActiveX only update (Adobe has done that before where the ActiveX version isn't the same as the Plugin version).

Same here. Please tell us the SR's solution.
Thank you in advance.
0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

toram;2392031 wrote:
Thank you in advance.

Ironically it "worked" on a whole 6 devices. But I've got over 3,000 that it's not worked on (it's possible the 6 devices either have no Firefox or something else going on).

I've sent the debug logs to Novell but it'll take some time to decipher them.
0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

toram;2392031 wrote:
Thank you in advance.

If any of you can put a device into debug mode and then run either a manual zac pap to see if it'll record what's going on, that may help.

In the meantime, Novell had me try to manually apply the update and that's where things went squirrely.
If I try to apply the "stub" updater (the one that Lumension links to), it fails to connect to Adobe to get the patch. I did a LAN trace and it seems that the adobe updater code is incapable of detecting proxy settings and tries to go directly to Adobe to get the updates, which for us, will fail.

If I tried to install the full-blown 17.0.0.169 (the 17 MB or whatever sized file), I have to close Firefox and then it'll install. But there *is* a difference between the updater and the full off-line installer (one seems to preserve the settings we have and one does not).

We deploy the distributable version of Flash with the mms.cfg file to disable auto-updates.

Ironically I noted that the Adobe patch notes for the update mentioned something that IE/ActiveX auto-updates, as does Chrome, but FF needs the manual update or something to that effect

Adobe Flash Player installed with Google Chrome, as well as Internet Explorer on Windows 8.x, will automatically update to version 17.0.0.169 when available.

Notice the absence of Firefox.

But I think if more people open SR's it will get more attention from Lumension as I don't think they're aware of the issue yet. I did reference this forum in the Novell SR, but sometimes that doesn't mean anything.

--Kevin
0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Novell has duplicated the issue. We're still waiting on a fix from Lumension.
0 Likes
Not applicable

What's the SR # for the one you've got in?
0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

strj500;2394193 wrote:
What's the SR # for the one you've got in?

SR #10949612131

Apparently there was an issue with Lumension's tracking system and it didn't get marked as High Priority.
Of course, Adobe released an update yesterday, so we'll find out probably by Monday if the next version has the same problem.
0 Likes
Absent Member.

Same issue with 17.0.0.188 - I am sorry to tell...
0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

mvs_ruc_dk;2394264 wrote:

Sigh
I'm testing now, just in case.

But I don't hold out much hope
0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Hi,

Same here with 2 latest release.

"mvs ruc dk" a écrit dans le message de groupe de discussion :
mvs_ruc_dk.6x2xvb@no-mx.forums.microfocus.com...

--
mvs_ruc_dk
------------------------------------------------------------------------
mvs_ruc_dk's Profile: https://forums.novell.com/member.php?userid=5380
View this thread: https://forums.novell.com/showthread.php?t=489368

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.